Steptoe & Johnson LLP offers an array of benefits and professional opportunities as an integral part of the firm’s overall commitment to recruiting, retaining, and empowering a diverse group of attorneys and legal professionals:
- Training and development: We emphasize opportunities linked to firm competency models.
- Mentors: Steptoe assigns mentors to summer associates and associates. Our women attorneys both participate in, and benefit from, such mentoring, as illustrated by some of their stories.
- Forums: The firm and our Women’s Forum sponsor collaborative programs on balancing work and life demands, identifying and integrating communication styles and women’s health issues.
- Flexibility in career development: Through its practice groups, the firm works with women to craft individualized career plans that include opportunities for advancement to partnership, other senior positions, and leadership roles. Such efforts accommodate alternative work arrangements and are frequently adjusted to reflect professional development needs.
- Personal well-being: To support the health and well-being of all of our attorneys—and, indeed, all of our employees—Steptoe encourages a healthy lifestyle, utilizing programming and resources including exercise facilities, cafeteria, and regular educational sessions with professionals in the health industry.
- Flexible work arrangements: We develop short-term and long-term reduced hour and alternative work arrangements case by case, tailoring them to each lawyer and the needs of the practice, and providing the necessary tools and technical support, as appropriate. We also strive for a flexible daily work environment to accommodate the varied situations of our attorneys.
- Support for parents: Steptoe understands and values the obligations of our working parents. We therefore subsidize parental leave and backup child care services.
- Firm retreats: Each year, the firm holds a number of practice area and geographic region retreats to stimulate creative approaches and foster teamwork and mutual respect. Participants include not only our lawyers, but also notable government leaders, clients, alumni, and special friends of the firm.