Steptoe & Johnson LLP has long recognized that women in the legal profession confront unique challenges. We respond with formal and informal programs that recognize the hurdles, bridge the gaps, and foster growth.
The firm embraced this commitment by founding the Steptoe Women’s Forum more than five years ago, with the full support of firm leadership. This support is exemplified by the following:
- Formal and informal mentoring of women across the firm, as illustrated in our Women’s Stories
- Quarterly programming on gender-specific and life-balance issues
- Programs that enhance and develop leadership skills
- Annual budget for our Women’s Forum initiative
This year, Steptoe’s Women’s Forum continues to pursue our mission of bringing women legal professionals together to share experiences and build networking opportunities. For example, we are undertaking activities such as the following:
- A concert and private dessert reception with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra’s acclaimed Music Director, Maestra Marin Alsop. Click here to view the invitation.
- Hosting small group dinners at women partners’ homes
- Promoting educational programs that focus on strategic topics such as business development, tactical skills such as time management, and work-life balance themes
- Presenting special programs that feature women clients, alumni, and friends of the firm who offer valuable perspective to our attorneys
- Working closely with firm leaders to acknowledge the many significant contributions of women within the firm
- During the firm's 2008 retreat, a lifetime achievement award was presented to Betty Jo Christian for her distinguished history in the profession as a Steptoe partner and public servant