For more than six decades, Steptoe has established a reputation for vigorous advocacy in complex litigation and arbitration, successful representation of clients before governmental agencies, and creative and practical advice in guiding business transactions. The firm has more than 500 lawyers and other professionals in offices in Beijing, Brussels, Century City, Chicago, London, Los Angeles, New York, Palo Alto, Phoenix, and Washington.
The firm is known for its ability to help clients solve high-stakes, multidimensional problems, particularly those with a governmental aspect:
- We have one of the most respected international trade practices in the world. We regularly advise multinationals on their critical market access issues and defend their interests in high-profile trade remedy proceedings in the US, the EU, and China. We also have a robust WTO practice and frequently represent governments in important trade disputes before the WTO Appellate Body in Geneva.
- Our highly regarded international regulatory teams handle FCPA and anti-corruption investigations worldwide in a broad range of industries. We also advise clients on compliance with US and EU economic sanctions, export controls, customs, anti-money laundering, and CFIUS.
- We litigate throughout the US and in virtually every major arbitration forum in the world. Our white-collar lawyers practice at the top of the profession, and we represent major national and global entities on challenging insurance, commercial, tort, professional liability, appellate, and employment-related cases. Clients often reach out to us when it becomes clear their controversies are headed to trial.
- Steptoe has great credibility with government regulators and a deep understanding of government policy and procedure involving antitrust, energy, transportation, telecommunications, and the life sciences. Our ability to produce successful results for clients in regulated industries is enriched by the prior senior government service of many of our practitioners.
- We have deep experience in government relations, both in the US and the EU. Our government relations team draws on the experience of former members of the US Senate and House and former senior representatives of the principal US executive and legislative bodies.
- Our intellectual property practice represents clients across a wide range of industries in patent litigation and prosecution as well as in trademark, copyright, and licensing matters. Our lawyers rely on strong technical backgrounds in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, chemistry, biochemistry, and materials science. We have one of the most active Section 337 practices: in more than three decades of litigation before the ITC, our lawyers have produced successful results in more than 200 Section 337 cases (for both complainants and respondents).
- Our tax lawyers bring to clients decades of consulting, transactional, and advocacy experience in all substantive areas of federal and state taxation, including corporate, partnership, state and local, compensation and benefits, tax exempt and international tax. We are forceful and effective advocates for our clients before the IRS, the Treasury Department, state departments of revenue, the courts, and in Congress and state legislatures. We often advise our clients with respect to their most important tax matters, and we are recognized for our responsiveness, resourcefulness, and results.
- The firm's corporate lawyers advise in all areas of corporate, securities and finance transactions; corporate governance; and bankruptcy and restructurings. We represent clients in complex financial and corporate transactions, including cross-border and multiparty arrangements, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, as well as in public and private offerings of debt and equity securities, representing issuers, underwriters, and investors.
- Our lawyers are at the center of the era’s evolving Internet law, including “open Internet” policies, privacy, law enforcement, and cybersecurity.
The firm has a longstanding commitment to helping clients find cost-effective solutions for their problems, from the routine to the most complex. We work collaboratively with in-house counsel to fashion strategies and solutions that promise the greatest value to the client.
Steptoe's tradition of service dates to its inception and continues today. We are deeply committed to representing the underserved on a pro bono basis.