- David B. Raskin
+1 202 429 6254
- Steven H. Brose
+1 202 429 6250
- Steven Reed
+1 202 429 6232
- Richard L. Roberts
+1 202 429 6756
- Business and Human Rights
- Corporate Tax Transactions
- Corporate, Securities & Finance
- Employee Benefits/ERISA/Executive Compensation
- Environmental Coverage Litigation & Counseling
- International Arbitration
- International Regulation & Compliance
- IRS Controversy & Tax Litigation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- State & Local Tax
- The Energy Sector and the Blockchain
Steptoe has one of the preeminent energy practices in the country. Chambers USA calls our firm a “powerhouse in world energy regulatory matters” and a “major force in the energy regulatory field.” Chambers awarded the firm the 2012 “Award for Excellence” in Energy Projects, and conferred a top-tier ranking nationwide in the category Energy: Oil & Gas (Regulatory & Litigation). We have long-established relationships with the country’s leading energy producers, transporters, suppliers, and marketers, and we have an extensive practice involving counseling, litigation, and representation of companies before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and other federal and state agencies.
In particular, we have considerable experience assisting clients involved in:
- Electric Utilities: Steptoe's Electric Power practice is widely recognized to be one of the largest and most diverse in the United States, and spans federal and state public utility regulation, antitrust counseling and litigation, regulatory approvals for mergers, divestitures, and other complex transactions.
- Pipelines: We have one of the leading practices in the nation in the field of pipeline regulation, representing many of the largest crude oil, refined petroleum products and natural gas liquids pipeline systems in North America. In addition to our extensive regulatory practice, we counsel clients on complex transactions, involving pipeline assets, transportation arrangements, and joint ventures.
- Energy Transactions: We provide counsel to major energy producers, suppliers, foreign governments, pipelines, holding companies, and quasi-government entities on a wide range of energy transactional matters, and we assist clients in the formation and negotiation of wholesale power and energy transactions, representing buyers, sellers, and marketers.
- Renewable & Alternative Energy: We counsel clients involved in developing renewable and alternative energy sources, including those derived from solar, wind, wave, biofuel, biomass, and geothermal sources, and often assist with procuring government grants and/or tax credits for their renewable energy projects.
Our work in the energy sector runs the gamut of litigation, regulatory, and transactional assistance, with particular experience in FCPA, toxic tort, and environmental issues.
- Ranked, Chambers Global 2014; Energy: Electricity (US) and Energy: Oil & Gas (US)
- Ranked, Chambers Global 2009-2012; Energy: Electricity (US) and Energy: Oil & Gas (US)
- Ranked, Chambers USA 2008-2012; Energy: Electricity (Nationwide) and Energy: Oil & Gas (Nationwide)
- Recommended, Legal 500 Energy: Litigation and Energy: Regulatory 2012-2014
- Steptoe partner Tim Columbus ranked in National Journal's Top 25 Lobbyists for motor fuels and energy in 2007
Select News & Events
- Middle East Oil & Gas Monitor Quotes Anthony Rapa on Oil Company Sanctions
- Inside FERC Quotes Marc Spitzer on Protests of Commission’s Review Process
- EBA Energizer: Effective FERC Advocacy Part II: Settlement and Hearing, Energy Bar Association
- Association of Oil Pipe Lines’ 2015 Annual Business Conference
- Conference on Petition for Rulemaking – Form No. 6, Page 700, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission