- Antitrust & Competition
- Corporate, Securities & Finance
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & National Security
- ERISA, Labor & Employment
- Government & Internal Investigations
- Hotels & Hospitality
- Intellectual Property
- International Arbitration
- International Regulation & Compliance
Hotels & Hospitality
Steptoe’s Global Hospitality Industry Group has decades of experience handling a wide variety of hotel industry matters in the United States and internationally. Hospitality industry leaders throughout the world choose us to represent them in their most important matters.
We understand the business of owning, managing, franchising and financing hotels and resorts. We know the challenges litigation presents to hospitality-related businesses. That’s why, even in the midst of a dispute, we keep in mind the practical needs of our client’s business. Whether in negotiation, mediation, litigation, or arbitration, we bring unique experience, creativity and technological savvy to solve the complex issues that clients face. Our role as innovative problem solvers allows clients to concentrate on the needs of their businesses in this fast-paced, constantly evolving industry.
Our advocacy has led to major victories in state and federal courts and before domestic arbitration panels and international arbitration tribunals. We have established some of the most important legal precedents affecting the hospitality industry. The results we have obtained have changed the way the industry does business.
We are not only advocates. We also have substantial experience as chairs or members of American Arbitration Association (AAA) panels and International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) tribunals.
Contract rights, fiduciary duties, joint venture disputes, accounting irregularities, convention center matters, intellectual property rights, branding rights, antitrust disputes, labor and employment matters, loan workouts, financial restructuring, tax, encroachment, ownership of hotel records and data privacy, consumer protection and class action claims are just some of the issues that we confront on a daily basis. Our internationally recognized litigation practice, which is ranked in The American Lawyer’s “Global Litigation Top 50,” has one goal – successfully guiding clients through high stakes litigation and arbitration.
We recognize that the best way to prevent disputes is to negotiate contracts that advance a client’s business strategy at the outset. For that reason, owners, managers, asset managers, lenders, franchisors, franchisees and other industry leaders routinely rely on Steptoe’s Global Hospitality Industry Group to negotiate and consult on a broad range of transactional documents. Steptoe lawyers are involved at the contract formation stage in projects involving major hospitality players and properties around the world, both in the private and public sectors.
Select News & Events
- Steptoe Receives 20 Practice, 60 Individual Mentions in Chambers USA 2015
- Law360 Covers Steptoe’s Success for Interstate Hotels & Resorts
- Law360 Names a Steptoe Matter a ‘Hospitality Case to Watch in 2015’
- Law360 Quotes Cecelia Fanelli on Biggest Hospitality Cases of 2014
- Steptoe Receives 20 Practice, 59 Individual Mentions in Chambers USA 2014
- Steptoe Receives 19 Practice, 56 Individual Mentions in Chambers USA 2013
- Development and Expansion of the Indian Hotel Industry Webinar, November 3, 2011, (A Steptoe-Sponsored Event)
- Hospitality Webinar: Employment/Labor Issues, April 7, 2011, (A Steptoe-Sponsored Event)
- Hotel News Now Features Cecelia Fanelli in "How to Mitigate Liability in Face of Catastrophes," March 4, 2011
- Hospitality Webinar: Insurance/Safety Issues, February 24, 2011, (A Steptoe-Sponsored Event)
- HotelNewsNow.com and Pravasi Herald Cover Steptoe Hospitality Webinar on India
- Lodging Hospitality Quotes Cecelia Fanelli on Distressed Assets
- Hospitality Webinar: Insurance/Safety Issues
- “Hotel Subordination, Non-Disturbance and Attornment Agreements: The ‘Boilerplate’ of the Boom Years Becomes Significant in the Great Recession,”
February 2010, Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law
- “The Use of Public Money to Fund Convention Center Headquarters Hotel Development: The Most Recent Controversy Unfolds in Dallas,”
October 2009, Real Estate Finance
- “The Terminability of Hotel Management Agreements in Workouts, Foreclosures and Bankruptcies: Lessons from the 1990s For Today’s Distressed Hotels,”
March 2009, Finance Channel of hotelsmag.com
- “The Employee Free Choice Act: What Hotel Owners and Managers Need to Know About Legislation That Could Alter Labor Relations in the Hotel Industry,”
Spring 2008, Employee Relations Law Journal, Vol. 34, No. 3
- “Hotel Investments Issues & Perspectives,”
2003, Major Legal Issues in the Hotel Industry Today, Educational Institute of the American Hotel & Lodging Association, Third Edition
- “Manual For State Trial Courts Regarding Electronic Discovery Cost-Allocation,”
Spring 2009, Joint E-Discovery Subcommittee of The Association of the Bar of the City of New York