- Corporate Tax Transactions
- Corporate, Securities & Finance
- Employee Benefits/ERISA/Executive Compensation
- IRS Controversy & Tax Litigation
- Labor/Management Relations
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Project Finance & Infrastructure
- Rail Transportation
- State & Local Tax
- Surface Transportation
- Transportation & Infrastructure Policy
Steptoe’s transportation is among the most preeminent practices in this area of law. Ranked in Chambers USA since 2008, our clients tell the publication that we “offer great client service and the value [we] get for their billing is impressive.”
We are known for the depth of its experience in transportation litigation and appellate matters and have participated in major cases involving a broad range of commercial and regulatory matters pertaining to rail, motor, and air carriage.
In particular, we have considerable experience assisting clients involved in:
- Aviation: Steptoe’s aviation practice focuses on the representation of domestic and foreign air carriers, their trade associations, and other aviation entities, in a variety of administrative, judicial and commercial settings. We are particularly noted for our representation of airlines and other aviation industry interests before federal agencies, such as the US Department of Transportation (DOT), the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), and our advice to our clients on the legal issues associated with the increasing globalization of the airline industry, including representing the views of the foreign airline community on issues arising from US laws and policies that may have extraterritorial reach. We represent airlines and other entities in matters involving access to airports, airport rates and charges, airport leases, and commercial airport issues, and represent airlines and other aviation industry participants which have been sued in putative class action cases in state and federal courts. We also routinely appear in federal district and appellate courts on behalf of airlines and other aviation industry participants. Our lawyers also have substantial experience in aircraft leasing matters, and the firm is equipped to handle any type of aircraft acquisition transaction.
- Rail Transportation: Steptoe’s rail practice is focused on the representation of major railroads before government agencies and courts on critical industry issues, including contract and rate disputes, preemption and related constitutional issues and environmental matters relating to the construction of new rail lines. We often represent rail carriers in complex commercial disputes before the Surface Transportation Board (STB), in federal and state courts and in arbitration proceedings.
- Surface Transportation: Steptoe is actively engaged in representing users of motor carrier services and operators of private motor carrier fleets in contract, commercial, and regulatory matters. We also handle a variety of recall and other matters involving NHTSA regulation of motor vehicle safety.
- Transportation Infrastructure & Policy: Steptoe represents a broad range of transportation companies, trade associations, and other entities in public-policy related issues before the Congress, the Executive Branch, including the Department of Transportation and its constituent agencies, and Independent Agencies. Our lawyers have significant policymaking experience on all facets of transportation and have held executive positions in Congress, the DOT, and the STB.
Select News & Events
- Steptoe Named Law Firm of the Year in Railroad Law
- "Hot Regulatory Topics in US Aviation," Aviation Assembly
- Panelist, "Update on Rail Regulatory Proceedings," Association of Transporation Law Professionals' Transportation Forum IX