- Paul J. Ondrasik Jr.
+1 202 429 8088
- Gwendolyn Prothro Renigar
+1 202 429 6750
- Employment Advice & Litigation
- ERISA, Labor & Employment
- ERISA/Employee Benefits/Litigation/Executive Compensation
- Rail Transportation
We represent clients in connection with union organizing campaigns, National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) proceedings such as representation elections and unfair labor practice charges, and collective bargaining. Our labor relations lawyers have substantial experience in these areas, having successfully assisted numerous companies in defeating union campaigns in the last several years.
Our lawyers also counsel employers on matters such as force reductions and early retirement programs, federal contract compliance, whistleblower laws, executive contracts, wage-hour matters, trade secret protection, labor standards, and international labor issues.
We are frequently consulted with respect to labor relations issues growing out of mergers, acquisitions and other corporate reorganizations and restructuring, in both union and non-union settings.
Labor/Management Relations Litigation
Steptoe attorneys frequently represent employers in connection with unfair labor practice charges and related litigation, at all levels, including arbitrations under collective bargaining agreements, hearings before the NLRB, and proceedings in federal courts.
Our attorneys played a significant role in establishing the employer's right to take legal action against a union that makes defamatory statements during an organizing campaign, when we successfully argued NLRB v. Bill Johnson's Restaurants, 461 US 731 (1983), in the US Supreme Court. We also represented a major shipping company before the NLRB on charges of refusing to hire based upon union affiliation (the case was dismissed). Moreover, we represented two national retail chains in their successful efforts to defeat union organizing campaigns at numerous stores in the Southwest and throughout the country.
In conjunction with the firm's Transportation Group, we represent both rail and air carriers in connection with Railway Labor Act matters.
Our employment lawyers advise numerous clients with respect to their obligations under various labor standards statutes, including the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Service Contract Act, and the Davis Bacon Act. We have conducted several successful appeals of wage determinations on large construction projects under government contracts, and have frequently represented employers in Department of Labor wage and hour compliance reviews. We have represented national retail chains in actions under the FLSA and state law for failure to pay for work allegedly performed off the clock.
- Chambers USA, Labor & Employment (Arizona), 2007-2015
Select News & Events
- Bloomberg BNA Quotes Tom Veal on PBGC Request for Input
- Ron Cooper Featured in Law360 Series ‘Employers’ EEOC Survival Guide’
- USA Today Quotes Steve Wheeless on NFL Domestic Violence Response
- Media Quote Paul Ondrasik on SCOTUS Fifth Third Bancorp Decision
- "ESOP Litigation: Defending Against New and Emerging Claims and Assessing Recent Developments," ACI National Forum on ERISA Litigation
- “Department of Labor, Office of Exemption Determinations: Updates, Issues, and Perspectives," Practising Law Institute (PLI)
- "Developments in Savings and Retirement Plans," SIFMA C&L Annual Seminar
- 11th Annual Labor Relations Conference