- Employment Advice & Litigation
- ERISA, Labor & Employment
- ERISA/Employee Benefits/Litigation/Executive Compensation
- Rail Transportation
We represent clients in connection with union organizing campaigns, National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) proceedings such as representation elections and unfair labor practice charges, and collective bargaining. Our labor relations lawyers have substantial experience in these areas, having successfully assisted numerous companies in defeating union campaigns in the last several years.
Our lawyers also counsel employers on matters such as force reductions and early retirement programs, federal contract compliance, whistleblower laws, executive contracts, wage-hour matters, trade secret protection, labor standards, and international labor issues.
We are frequently consulted with respect to labor relations issues growing out of mergers, acquisitions and other corporate reorganizations and restructuring, in both union and non-union settings.
Labor/Management Relations Litigation
Steptoe attorneys frequently represent employers in connection with unfair labor practice charges and related litigation, at all levels, including arbitrations under collective bargaining agreements, hearings before the NLRB, and proceedings in federal courts.
Our attorneys played a significant role in establishing the employer's right to take legal action against a union that makes defamatory statements during an organizing campaign, when we successfully argued NLRB v. Bill Johnson's Restaurants, 461 US 731 (1983), in the US Supreme Court. We also represented a major shipping company before the NLRB on charges of refusing to hire based upon union affiliation (the case was dismissed). Moreover, we represented two national retail chains in their successful efforts to defeat union organizing campaigns at numerous stores in the Southwest and throughout the country.
In conjunction with the firm's Transportation Group, we represent both rail and air carriers in connection with Railway Labor Act matters.
Our employment lawyers advise numerous clients with respect to their obligations under various labor standards statutes, including the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Service Contract Act, and the Davis Bacon Act. We have conducted several successful appeals of wage determinations on large construction projects under government contracts, and have frequently represented employers in Department of Labor wage and hour compliance reviews. We have represented national retail chains in actions under the FLSA and state law for failure to pay for work allegedly performed off the clock.
- Received a #1 Ranking in Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers; Labor & Employment (Arizona), 2007-2013
Select News & Events
- AzBusiness Magazine Recognizes Steptoe Lawyers
- Steptoe Named Law Firm of the Year in Railroad Law
- Steptoe Receives 19 Practice, 56 Individual Mentions in Chambers USA 2013
- Four Steptoe Partners Named ‘Lawyer of the Year’ by Best Lawyers
- 11th Annual Labor Relations Conference
- Tenth Annual Labor Relations Conference
- "Benefit Efficiency – How to Control Costs and Get the Most Out of Your Plans," Third Annual Law Firm Pension, Health & Welfare Plans Breakfast Briefing
- “OTC Clearing – An Overview and Update on ERISA Issues,” 2013 Deutsche Bank ERISA Event