- Chemical Regulatory
- Consumer Products
- Environment & Natural Resources
- EU Chemicals, REACH & CLP, Biocides & Pesticides
- EU Environmental
- NEPA Infrastructure Projects
- Pesticides & Antimicrobials
- TSCA & REACH
- US/EU Environment & Life Sciences
Food & Dietary Supplements
Steptoe & Johnson LLP provides a broad range of international legal and regulatory services related to the production and marketing of finished food, food ingredients, food contact materials (including packaging materials), and dietary supplements.
Our team consists of experienced attorneys, scientists, and non-attorney regulatory specialists who work with clients to develop innovative compliance strategies for individual products and product lines. Steptoe is well connected to the industry and their overseeing regulatory bodies, such as the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Department of Agriculture (USDA), EU Member States authorities, European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), and similar authorities throughout the world. With state-of-the-art technical knowledge, our team brings a profound understanding of the underlying science to this highly technical practice area, providing a comprehensive response to clients’ regulatory and commercial needs.
We assist clients with regulatory aspects of the product development and marketing process, including:
- Interpretation of scope of relevant legislation and regulations;
- Analysis of regulatory status and assistance in obtaining approval of ingredients and packaging material components;
- Compliance advice on labeling and point-of-purchase material, including health-related claims;
- Advise on product certificates, traceability issues, and product recalls;
- Advise on advertising claims and promotional materials, including electronic media;
- Food additive approvals in the EU, US, and China;
- Manufacturing practices compliance; and
- Import and export issues.
The firm also advises clients on a broad range of compliance and enforcement issues related to food production, including international regulatory approaches to genetically modified organisms, state requirements such as California's Proposition 65, and product recall strategies.
Steptoe attorneys represent clients in negotiations on matters related to food and dietary supplements with various regulatory agencies including the Food and Drug Administration, the US Department of Agriculture, the Environmental Protection Agency, and the Federal Trade Commission.
Click here to e-mail the Food & Dietary Supplements team with questions or comments.
Select News & Events
- Steptoe Recommended in Legal 500 EMEA
- Steptoe Bolsters Environment & Life Sciences Practice with Ruxandra Cana and Her Team
- Law360 Quotes Ralph Simmons on FDA Proposal, New Tracking Requirements
- Cheeseman, Simmons Preview Food Additives in 2013 on ‘Knife & Fork Show’
- TTC Approach in the Context of Major Regulatory Systems Worldwide
- Craig Simpson to Speak at ERA Annual Conference on European Food Law
- PAFA, FCNs and GRAS Programs at FDA: A Candid View
- Grocery Manufactures Association 2013 Science Forum
October 22, 2012