- Appellate & Supreme Court
- Commercial Litigation
- Complex Litigation & Discovery Center
- Corporate Governance
- Crisis Management
- False Advertising & Lanham Act Litigation
- Insolvency & Creditors' Rights
- Products Liability, Pharmaceutical & Mass Tort Litigation
- Professional Liability
- Regulatory Litigation
- Securities Litigation & Enforcement
- Toxic Tort
Our multifaceted international practice features a team of highly experienced trial lawyers, known for effectively litigating unusually complex matters and skillfully handling multiparty, multijurisdictional cases.
Our substantial litigation experience means that our clients are effectively represented in the event of court action and are advised on how to avoid potential liability and exposure in planning matters.
Because so many Steptoe lawyers are experienced in complex litigation, we are able to assemble teams tailored to the particular elements of complexity, to utilize the skills of these lawyers with the latest technology to achieve efficiency and, ultimately, to deliver results in the courtroom, before juries or judges.
We also understand the need for cost-consciousness and efficiency. Litigation is expensive, but can be controlled through litigation management skills, risk-assessment techniques, and selective use of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) techniques suitable to the particular situation.
Our reputation—and our willingness to take cases to trial—enhances our already substantial leverage in obtaining the most favorable settlements possible for our clients.
Our corporate clients agree.
- Successfully represented BMG Rights Management US LLC in a copyright infringement case against Cox Enterprises and prevailed at trial with a finding of willful contributory infringement and $25 million in damages awarded, which was the largest awarded in Virginia in 2015.
- Defended senior corporate executives from companies such as Enron, Tyco, WorldCom, HealthSouth, Rite Aid, and ADM, former Secretary of Agriculture Michael Espy and former Teamsters president Ron Carey; and Mark Belnick, former chief corporate counsel of Tyco, the highest-ranking corporate officer to be acquitted in the post-Enron era.
- Representing Motorola in prosecuting plaintiff’s actions in several forums against a family of politically powerful Turkish billionaires. We obtained one of the highest judgments for compensatory and punitive damages in the history of the Second Circuit—$2.1 billion—based on fraud claims.
- Defending CACI International, a company that supplied interrogators in support of the US military's mission in Iraq, against a number of multimillion-dollar lawsuits in which Iraqis seek recovery for injuries they allegedly suffered while in US custody.
- Representing a large energy company in a RICO action pending in federal court in Washington arising out of the fixing of royalties for coal reserves on an Indian reservation.
- Represented a national accounting firm in a class-action securities and professional malpractice litigation arising from the bankruptcy of a major homebuilder. Plaintiffs sought $95 million in actual damages and $1 billion in punitive damages. After a 66-day jury trial, a verdict was obtained for the defense.
- Representing Riggs Bank N.A. in connection with a variety of regulatory and enforcement matters, as well as civil litigation. In this role, we have extensively counseled the board of directors on numerous issues.
- Represented a satellite communications carrier in litigation with a major television network over the discontinuance of service under a contract.
- Defending a major investment advisory firm in a series of major lawsuits filed by investors in certain tax-advantaged strategies.
- Ranked, Chambers USA 2005-2015: America’s Leading Business Lawyers; Litigation (District of Columbia)
- Ranked, Chambers USA 2009-2015: America’s Leading Business Lawyers: Litigation (Arizona)
- Ranked in Legal 500 US 2013; Litigation: Leading Trial Lawyers
- A recent National Law Journal survey notes Steptoe is among the most often used litigation outside counsel for several Fortune 500 companies, listing us among the most-often used outside counsel of companies such as American Electric Power, Albertson's, Motorola, Edison International, and Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp.
Select News & Events
- Associated Press Covers Steptoe’s Success for ‘Quackwatch’ Website
- Paul Charlton Appears on Phoenix News Stations to Discuss Joe Arpaio’s Case
- Law360 Names Steptoe a ‘Litigation Powerhouse’
- Media Cover Steptoe’s Federal Court Win for Noted Turkish Scholar
- State Bar of Arizona Annual Convention
- The United States Vice-Presidency: In History, Practice, and the Future
- "Africa Regional US Judicial System," US Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of International Visitors
- “Class Actions & The U.S. Supreme Court’s 2015-2016 Term,” 2016 DRI Product Liability Conference
February 9, 2016
December 7, 2015