International Trade & Investment
We have earned our reputation as a leading firm for assisting companies to develop and execute strategies to improve market access and minimize risk arising from international trade developments. Our record demonstrates that we are consistently able to put our clients in the best competitive position in the US market. Steptoe has one of the largest and most respected international trade law practices in the world, and consistently has received the highest rankings from highly regarded reference guides to law firms. For the past three years, Steptoe's International Trade Group has been chosen as an International Trade Group of the Year by Law360, and for four years running, Chambers Asia has recognized Steptoe as the market leader for its work in Asia.
Dedicated to advancing our clients’ business interests, we have one of the largest and most experienced international trade practices in the United States, able to marshal significant trade experience. Many of our attorneys bring insight gained from senior government service. We deliver substantive knowledge on a wide range of trade issues and policy disciplines in a cost-effective manner. We have in-depth knowledge of numerous industries with recurring trade policy concerns, and are skilled in many cutting-edge industries that are increasingly confronted with trade policy issues. Several of our attorneys have strong backgrounds in economics, which is often essential in successful trade policy advocacy.
Our ability to design strategies to solve trade problems is reflected in the broad range of trade policy matters we have handled: antidumping and subsidies rules and regulations, tariff and non-tariff barriers, trade with non-market economies, agricultural trade, government procurement standards, and telecommunications. Additionally, we advise on a wide range of domestic and international clients regarding compliance with the increasingly complex US regulatory regime, including new Department of Homeland Security and US Customs and Border Protection compliance requirements.
Furthermore, we are a leader among US law firms in counseling and assisting clients in handling public international law matters, which often affect trade and investment transactions that transcend national boundaries. We not only assist clients to resolve complex controversies (such as expropriation and international boundary disputes), but also represent clients before governmental agencies on broad public law issues that affect competitiveness in the global market (such as extraterritorial jurisdiction, conflict of laws, and discriminatory treatment).
- Ranked, Chambers Global 2010-2013, The World's Leading Business Lawyers for Business; International Trade/WTO (Global)
- Ranked, Chambers USA 2010-2013, America's Leading Business Lawyers; International Trade (Nationwide)
- #1 Ranking, Chambers Asia 2010-2013, Asia's Leading Business Lawyers; Asia-wide: International Trade
- Recommended, Legal 500 US 2007-2013; Litigation: International Trade
- Named a Law360 International Trade Group of the Year 2010-2012
Select News & Events
- Washingtonian Names Steptoe Partners to ‘Best Lawyers’ List
- Susan Esserman Receives American Jewish Committee Judge Learned Hand Award
- Expert Guides Recognize Steptoe Lawyers as Leading Women in Business Law
- Steptoe Receives 80 Individual Mentions in Best Lawyers 2014
- Intellectual Property Rights Concerns Upon Importation, 2013 Annual Conference of the International Bar Association
- "Trade and Investment," Brazil-US Business Council Annual Plenary
- Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement Negotiations – Prospects and Implications for Brazil
- Perspectives on the US-China Investment Relationship, Global Business Dialogue Members' Lunch