Construction Defect Coverage
Steptoe regularly represents and advises major insurance carriers in the handling, litigation, and resolution of complex construction defect coverage claims.
Our construction defect coverage lawyers bring a depth of experience and understanding to the complex insurance products and issues implicated by construction projects. We have the experience and skill to address coverage disputes that inevitably arise in such undertakings, whether they implicate general liability coverage, professional liability coverage, builders risk policies, commercial property policies, wrap-up policies, subcontractor default policies, or performance and payment bonds.
Steptoe’s lawyers have successfully litigated construction defect coverage disputes involving large commercial developments, public works, convention centers, high-rise condominiums, airports, and professional sports stadiums in both state and federal courts.
Our professionals also have substantial knowledge in the negotiation and resolution of construction defect disputes outside of the litigation arena. We regularly provide our insurance company clients with analysis and advice regarding construction defect claims and assist them in obtaining favorable resolutions of complicated disputes.
- Represented a major carrier in coverage disputes involving “The Big Dig” in Boston, Massachusetts, the largest construction project in the United States.
- Obtained a favorable decision for a commercial general liability carrier in Maryland federal court arising out of the alleged defective construction of a garage for an expansion wing of a shopping mall.
- Represented an insurance carrier in multimillion dollar lawsuits in District of Columbia federal court and New York state court filed by a developer and contractors arising out of alleged problems with the HVAC system and roof of a mixed-use luxury condominium development.
- Advised a major liability carrier with respect to claims for coverage arising out of alleged defects in the HVAC system and other systems of a major league baseball stadium in Texas.
- Represented an insurer in a coverage dispute arising out of alleged construction defects in high-end Park Avenue condominiums in New York City.
- Represented a major carrier in a federal lawsuit in Virginia brought by a policyholder seeking coverage for claims made by the City of Richmond, Virginia, alleging that the policyholder’s installation of underground cables caused several million dollars of damage to the city’s sewers.