- Paul J. Ondrasik Jr.
+1 202 429 8088
- Gwendolyn Prothro Renigar
+1 202 429 6750
Employment Advice & Litigation
Steptoe attorneys represent employers in all aspects of the law of the workplace. The firm has a long history of handling litigation (including complex class actions and matters before the US Supreme Court), and providing counseling services for organizations throughout the United States, the United Kingdom, and the European Union.
We represent employers in employment and labor litigation through all phases and at all levels of the state and federal system throughout the United States. We provide the same services in England, handling the latest developments in EU social legislation. Our attorneys have successfully litigated jury trials, large class and collective actions, and enforcement proceedings brought by government agencies.
In addition, we have frequently represented parties and amici before all levels of appellate courts, including the US Supreme Court, and in the English Employment Tribunals and the High Court.
Our work involves the full range of workplace issues:
- Business immigration
- Business transfers/TUPE
- Compensation claims
- Consultancy agreements
- Contingent workforce
- ERISA litigation and counseling
- Executive compensation
- Executive employment agreements
- Maternity and parental rights
- Mergers & acquisitions
- Policy manuals
- Reorganizations and redundancy
- Restrictive covenants
- Severance payments
- Trade secrets
- Unfair competition
- Wage and hour violations
- Wrongful discharge
Arbitration & Mediation
Steptoe is well-versed in alternative dispute resolution. We frequently assist clients in resolving disputes through mediation, arbitration, and other alternatives to litigation. Our attorneys also regularly serve as arbitrators and mediators. In addition, we advise public and private clients on establishing and implementing dispute resolution systems and grievance procedures, including mandatory arbitration agreements.
Our substantial litigation experience not only assures our clients effective representation in the event of formal disputes, but also enables us to bring practical considerations to bear in providing advice and counsel on HR planning and real-time workplace decisionmaking. We regularly assist clients with:
- Complex terminations, especially involving executives
- Reductions in force and reorganizations
- Early retirement programs
- Equal Employment Opportunity and related counseling
- Union avoidance and compliance with NLRA obligations
- OFCCP compliance
- International issues
Our strong relationships with employment teams in law firms around the world allow us to refer clients to excellent lawyers on short notice when matters arise in realms not regularly served by our offices in Washington, New York, Chicago, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Century City, London, and Brussels. Our participation in Lex Mundi, the world's leading association of independent law firms, with more than 161 members, 490 offices, and 15,000 lawyers in 99 countries, enables us to meet our clients' needs worldwide in employment law.
- Chambers USA, Labor & Employment (Arizona), 2007-2015
Select News & Events
- InBusiness Magazine Quotes Steve Wheeless on New NLRB Rules
- Bloomberg BNA Quotes Tom Veal on PBGC Request for Input
- Ron Cooper Featured in Law360 Series ‘Employers’ EEOC Survival Guide’
- USA Today Quotes Steve Wheeless on NFL Domestic Violence Response
- "Regulatory Interaction with Plans," PLI
- "The Dos and Don'ts of Pre-Hire Screening," Arizona Industry Liaison Group
- "ESOP Litigation: Defending Against New and Emerging Claims and Assessing Recent Developments," ACI National Forum on ERISA Litigation
- “Department of Labor, Office of Exemption Determinations: Updates, Issues, and Perspectives," PLI