- Paul J. Ondrasik Jr.
+1 202 429 8088
- Gwendolyn Prothro Renigar
+1 202 429 6750
Employment Advice & Litigation
Large and small employers across a broad array of industries, turn to Steptoe’s employment lawyers for advice and representation in all aspects of workplace law. From workforce strategic planning and talent management, to compliance programs, investigations, counseling and training, to litigation and labor relations needs, Steptoe’s labor and employment lawyers bring more than 200 years of combined experience. We represent employers before state and federal regulatory agencies and courts across the United States, and provide the same services in England.
Our work involves the full range of workplace employment issues:
- Strategic Planning, including mergers & acquisitions, workforce culture, and dispute resolution
- Employment contracts, restrictive covenants and employee separation
- Compliance audits/employee handbooks
- Regulatory audits
- Wage-and-hour class action litigation
- Regulatory agency and court litigation
To learn more about our Labor & Employment practices click here.
- Assisted a major national auto servicing business with more than 2,000 employees in developing and implementing a peer review dispute resolution policy that effectively eliminated workforce-related regulatory charges and court lawsuits over the course of two years.
- Won a jury verdict in a major WARN Act lawsuit brought against an employer in Arkansas, in which hundreds of thousands of dollars were at stake.
- On behalf of an employer that received notice of a pending DOL audit, Steptoe conducted an internal compliance audit for the client and determined that a particular facility automatically deducted a 30 minute unpaid meal period each day from employees’ recorded hours; a practice that would result in automatic liability under DOL rules. Based on Steptoe’s recommendations, the employer fixed the problem from both a payroll perspective as well as manager training, and passed the DOL audit without any adverse findings.
- Provided regular HR counseling support, over a five year period, to an employer dealing with the discipline and retraining for a chronically unhappy and disruptive employee. The employee repeatedly filed grievances under an applicable collective bargaining agreement and, in each instance, the union either refused to take the grievance to arbitration or the company won the arbitration (with the union paying the employer’s attorneys’ fees), because Steptoe helped orchestrate every step in the disciplinary and retraining process to ensure those decisions would withstand litigation scrutiny.
- Retained by the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors of a major health care institution to investigate numerous complaints of sexual harassment by executive level employees against a CEO and board member. Steptoe conducted a comprehensive investigation that ultimately led to a multilayered resolution involving major personnel changes, the creation of training and additional reporting programs, and no legal claims.
- Retained by a national employer to respond to an aggressive audit by the DOL’s Wage-and-Hour Division where the DOL asserted – based on internal complaints – that the employer improperly classified employees as independent contractors. Steptoe quickly evaluated the operational reality in light of the controlling law and worked with the DOL investigators to conduct two manager interviews, which then led to the conclusion of the audit with a favorable finding.
- Chambers USA, Labor & Employment (Arizona), 2007-2016
Select News & Events
- SHRM Quotes Steve Wheeless on Employers’ Rules for National General Strike
- Bloomberg BNA Quotes Steve Wheeless on Antitrust Exception for Labor Unions
- Steptoe Receives 68 Rankings in US News - Best Lawyers' ‘Best Law Firms’
- Steptoe Receives 13 Practice, 12 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 UK 2016
- "Prop 206 Compliance: Preparing Your Business for Mandatory Paid Sick Time Regulations," ALA
- "Repos, Securities Lending and Stable Value Funds," PLI
- "Regulatory Interaction with Plans," PLI
- "The Dos and Don'ts of Pre-Hire Screening," Arizona Industry Liaison Group