Areas of Practice
- Congressional Oversight & Investigations
- Environmental Coverage Litigation & Counseling
- Insurance & Reinsurance
- Products Liability, Pharmaceutical & Mass Tort Litigation
- White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Yale Law School, J.D., 1980
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, B.A., 1977
- Hon. Robert R. Merhige, Jr., US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 1981-1982
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
William T. Hassler
Washington DC 20036
William T. Hassler is a partner with the Washington office of Steptoe, where he is a member of the Litigation Department. His practice has encompassed a broad range of criminal and civil cases, including numerous matters resolved by trial in both state and federal courts. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Hassler served as a prosecutor for the Office of Independent Counsel investigating the Iran/Contra affair, and in the Environmental Crimes Section of the US Department of Justice. He is a former Special Assistant to the Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
Mr. Hassler’s practice has included a large variety of civil disputes, including Commerce Clause issues, ERISA claims, and numerous environmental coverage matters. He has addressed civil claims arising out of alleged corporate misconduct, including the defense of Tyco’s former general counsel, and has represented insurers in numerous coverage disputes involving environmental liabilities, September 11 claims, and other types of coverage. His experience includes defense of claims by national manufacturing companies, chemical companies, and petroleum products companies.
White-Collar Criminal Defense
Mr. Hassler has represented numerous companies and individuals subject to criminal investigation. He has handled cases involving alleged corporate misconduct, complex environmental matters, charges of healthcare fraud, the regulation of medical devices, and the representation of witnesses subject to investigation by Congressional committees.
Select News & Events
- Platts Quotes Bill Hassler on Macondo Oil Spill Trial
- "Oil Pollution Update," Environmental Law Institute Seminar, January 31, 2013
- “General Counsel Under Scrutiny,” PLI’s Corporate Counsel Institute 2012, October 3, 2012
- “So Now I’m a Criminal? Developments in Criminal Law,” FDCC’s 9th Annual Corporate Counsel Symposium, September 14, 2012
- Law360 Quotes Bill Hassler on Federal Prosecutors' Reaction to GSK Acquittal
- "In-House Counsel on Trial: Prosecuted for Doing Our Jobs," Defense Research Institute Corporate Counsel Committee, May 1, 2012
- Law360 Names Steptoe ‘White Collar Group of the Year’
- "Lessons Learned from the Lauren Stevens Case," DRI’s Corporate Counsel Roundtable, January 20, 2012
- "Ethical Considerations in an Era of Whistleblowers and Increased Government Investigations," 39th Annual Securities Regulation Institute's Conference, January 19, 2012
- Law360 Features Steptoe Victory in 'How They Won It'
- Steptoe Secures Acquittal for Former GSK Associate General Counsel
- Marketplace Interviews Bill Hassler on Foreclosure Fund
- Congressional Oversight of Federal Environmental Prosecutions; 24 Envir'tl Law Rev. 10074February 1994
- Co-Author, Coal and the Clean Air Act ; Yale Press1981
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section; Section of Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law