Areas of Practice
- Yale Law School, J.D., 1996
- University of Virginia, B.A., 1991
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Washington DC 20036
Douglas Kantor is a partner in the Washington office of Steptoe & Johnson LLP, where he is a member of the Government Affairs & Public Policy practice, focusing on government relations.
Mr. Kantor provides governmental advocacy, strategic advice, and legal counseling services to a range of clients before the congressional and Executive branch agencies. He advocates for clients in areas including financial services, technology, energy, tax issues, the judiciary, and appropriations. He also provides legal representation for clients facing investigations by state attorneys general and the Congress.
Mr. Kantor successfully works every aspect of the public policy process:
- assessing client needs,
- establishing a strategy,
- drafting legislation, and
- advocating for the right outcome.
Additionally, he has established and administered coalitions of companies and trade associations that share common legislative and regulatory objectives, a recent example of which is the Merchants Payments Coalition, which includes several merchant trade associations trying to reform the system of credit card interchange fees.
Bringing professional insight from his previous experience as a litigator and political appointee, Mr. Kantor is able to cut through issues surrounding his clients’ concerns and develop policy-based solutions. His legal experience includes government contracts counseling, establishing corporate compliance programs, managing internal investigations, litigating securities enforcement actions, campaign finance law counseling, privacy law counseling, and defending against class action suits.
Before joining Steptoe, Mr. Kantor was a member of The Scott Group and the law firm Collier Shannon Scott in the Government Relations and Public Policy Practice Group.
- Worked toward legislation authorizing the Internal Revenue Service to contract with private collection agencies.
- Advocated for balanced legislation governing commercial practices on the Internet.
- Advised clients on the regulatory process and compliance with rules promulgated by the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, Treasury Department, Federal Trade Commission, Food and Drug Administration, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and other federal agencies.
- Developed compliance policies on a variety of issues relating to financial services for Washington trade associations as well as a Fortune 500 financial services company.
- Challenged agency rules in federal court including rules promulgated by the EPA and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.
- Previously, Mr. Kantor worked as Deputy Chief of Staff and Special Counsel at the Department of Housing and Urban Development, where he:
- Helped guide the largest HUD budget in 20 years ($32 billion).
- Worked to secure a landmark gun safety agreement between HUD and Smith & Wesson.
Select News & Events
- International Business Times Quotes Doug Kantor on Debit Card Fee Rule
- Media Cover Steptoe's Oral Arguments in Hearing on Debit Card Fee Rule
- Media Quote Doug Kantor on Visa, MasterCard Swipe-Fee Settlement
- National Journal Quotes Steptoe’s Kantor on the Fed’s Swipe-Fee Rule
- Bloomberg Quotes Steptoe’s Kantor on Credit Card Fines
- Steptoe Involved in Three of The Hill’s ‘Top 10 Lobbying Victories of 2011’