Areas of Practice
- Business & Financial Restructuring
- Commercial Litigation, Insolvency & Creditors' Rights
- Derivatives and Credit Default Swaps Litigation & Restructuring Team
- Distressed Real Estate Litigation & Restructuring
- University of Southern California Law School, J.D., 1984
- University of California - Los Angeles, B.A., magna cum laude, 1981
Bar & Court Admissions
- US Supreme Court
- California Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- US District Court, Central, Northern, and Southern Districts of California
Robbin L. Itkin
Los Angeles CA 90067
TEL: 310 734 3272
FAX: 310 734 3300
Robbin L. Itkin is a partner in Steptoe's Century City office, where she is a member of the Business Solutions Department and leads the West Coast Business & Financial Restructuring Group. Ms. Itkin represents debtors, creditors, and equity and bondholders’ committees, purchasers and trustees in corporate restructurings and bankruptcies in a wide variety of industries, including commercial mortgage, entertainment, retail, transportation, and hospitality industries, and advises high profile individuals and corporations in out-of-court workouts and financial transactions. Her skills have been noted by many leading publications, including Southern California Super Lawyers and Los Angeles Magazine, and she has been recognized by the Century City Bar Association, which named her “Bankruptcy Lawyer of the Year” for 2013.
Ms. Itkin, in her role as the appointed Chapter 11 Trustee in the Ritter Ranch case, in which she successfully sold the largest area of undeveloped property in Los Angeles County, was featured in the Bankruptcy Court Decisions Weekly News & Comment article, "Chapter 11 Trustee's Work Eases California Housing Shortage." She was also mentioned in the Daily News article, "Ritter Project Revived" and the Daily Journal Extra article, "Construction Has Begun on Ritter Ranch Community in Palmdale," among other articles.
Ms. Itkin has appeared on NBC's Los Angeles affilliate, discussing her representation of season ticket holders in the Los Angeles Dodgers bankruptcy case. She has also offered commentary on other television news outlets, including NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams, the Today Show, where she spoke on women in the workplace, and C-SPAN, where she interviewed US Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy.
Representative Debtor Matters:
- Various Clients − Counsel to domestic and international clients in various aspects of foreign ancillary proceedings under Chapter 15 of the Bankruptcy Code, including representing clients in litigation before federal and state courts in the United States.
- Solutia Inc. − Counsel to Solutia Inc. and its affiliates in their Chapter 11 cases involving more than $3 billion of funded debt and other obligations and complex liability issues, including environmental, mass tort, retiree, pension, and indemnification issues.
- NRG − Counsel to over 29 related entities comprising one of the largest independent power generation companies in the world, both as debtors out of court and as debtors in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy case, and successfully restructured over $11 billion in debt in approximately seven months.
- Dividend Development Corporation − Counsel to one of the country's largest home builders as debtor-in-possession. Confirmed plan of reorganization restructuring over $300 million in liabilities, including $55 million in unsecured claims.
- Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel − Counsel to landmark hotel located in Hollywood, California, in connection with its restructure through Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Santa Barbara Star Motors, Inc., dba Gregg Motors, and Related Entities − Counsel to automobile dealership as debtor-in-possession. Sold all assets, including multiple franchises, in controlled liquidation for benefit of creditors.
- Pharmaceuticals Distributor − Counsel to wholesale distributor of pharmaceuticals in its out-of-court restructuring of over $12 million in unsecured debt and $20 million financing.
Representative Committee Matters:
- Pacific Energy Resources Ltd. − Counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases of Pacific Energy Resources Ltd., and certain of its affiliates, which are engaged in the acquisition, exploitation, and development of oil and gas properties, primarily in the United States.
- Store of Knowledge − Counsel to committee of creditors in bankruptcy case in which company operated a mall-based nationwide chain of 91 specialty retail stores, located in 26 states, offering educational and intellectually stimulating products geared toward fun and interactive learning.
- Taxi Systems, Inc. − Counsel to committee of unsecured creditors of large taxi company in Southern California. General unsecured creditors included over 400 personal injury claimants in addition to numerous trade creditors. Extensive negotiations with debtor resulted in confirmed plan of reorganization providing for 100% payout on trade claims, with election offered to personal injury claimants either to continue to litigate their claims or to receive 100% of cash settlement amounts over time, such payments collateralized by assets of debtor, debtor's parent and certain of debtor's principals.
- Babaeian Transportation Co., Inc., dba Checker Cab Company, dba Burbank Taxi, dba Pasadena Taxi, dba San Fernando Checker − Counsel to committee of creditors of taxi company possessing a fleet of taxi cabs in California's San Fernando Valley. Caused appointment of Chapter 11 trustee to preserve estate's assets for sale. Actively participated with trustee who ultimately sold assets and made distributions to unsecured creditors.
- Bell Brand Snack Foods, Inc. − Counsel to committee of creditors of snack food manufacturer and distributor. Negotiated consensual plan of reorganization that provided for immediate 90% payout to general unsecured creditors before any payments on secured or unsecured debts owed to affiliates.
- C&L Properties − Counsel to committee of creditors of owner and operator of fully encumbered commercial property known as the Continental Plaza in Southern California. Negotiated consensual plan of reorganization in extensively litigated case that provided for full payment plus interest within one year of confirmation to general unsecured creditors.
- Maguire Thomas Partners − Counsel to committees of creditors in extremely adversarial Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases of owner and operator of Gas Company Tower Building, a 52-story premier office building in downtown Los Angeles, California. As a result of committee’s request for participation in mediation, settlement was reached, and plan of reorganization was confirmed that paid unsecured creditors in full plus 7% interest and restructured in excess of $400 million in debt.
- Pacific EyeNet, Inc. − Counsel to Pacific EyeNet, Inc., A Medical Group, as a creditor in the Chapter 11 (and subsequent Chapter 7) bankruptcy case of its MSO.
- Secured Lender − Currently represent a secured lender in the bankruptcy case for the owner of the Terminator franchise pending in the Bankruptcy Court for the C.D. California with respect to the Debtors' proposed sale of substantially all of the Terminator's future sequel and remake rights.
- Missoula Area Economic Development Corporation (MAEDC) − Lead counsel for MAEDC in representing its interests in the bankruptcy case of Smurfit-Stone Container Corporation and its affiliates, with particular emphasis on Smurfit's abrupt closure in early January 2010 of its paper mill in Missoula County, Montana.
- Chrysler LLC − Counsel to one of the largest general unsecured trade creditors and member of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases of Chrysler LLC and certain of its affiliates, currently pending the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York and successfully obtained payment in full for client through negotiations with purchaser of the debtors’ business operations.
- Lehman Brothers − Counsel to a fund that holds a credit linked note of several hundred million dollars issued as part of an integrated transaction with various US and foreign Lehman Brothers entities, as a creditor in the Lehman Brothers US and international insolvency proceedings.
- Hartmarx Corporation − Counsel to the successful purchaser of substantially all of the assets of Hartmarx Corporation and certain of its affiliates, one of the largest manufacturers and marketers for men’s suits and sport coats in the United States, in bankruptcy proceedings in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Syntax−Brillian Corporation − Counsel to Taiwan Kolin Co., Ltd., one of the largest manufacturers and sellers of electronic products in Taiwan, in connection with its asserted $270 million claim against the debtors, Syntax−Brillian Corporation and certain of its debtor affiliates, in their chapter 11 cases pending in the Delaware bankruptcy court.
- Aloha Airlines − Counsel to Japan Airlines (JAL) in the Aloha Airlines Chapter 11 bankruptcy pending in Hawaii. JAL had service agreements with Aloha Airlines that were put at risk due to Aloha’s bankruptcy filing. The practice structured a successful result for JAL that allowed its contracts to remain fully intact with assignees whom JAL approved.
- Estate of Thomas A. Hantges − Counsel to the Chapter 11 Trustee for the Estate of Thomas A. Hantges, one of the former founding principals of USA Commercial Mortgage Company, a commercial loan underwriting, servicing and funding company whose principals were involved in an alleged fraud in the magnitude of over $900 million – the largest bankruptcy filing in Nevada.
- Ritter Ranch Development LLC − Appointed by the Office of the United States Trustee, and confirmed by the Central District of California Bankruptcy Court, as Chapter 11 Trustee for the Estate of Ritter Ranch Development LLC and lead counsel as well in all aspects of case involving Mello Roos Bond Financing and including extensively litigated 363 sale proceedings and claims issues of principals and lenders; completed a 363 sale of the then largest available developable property in Los Angeles County (over 6,000 acres) for $57.2 million after 75 rounds of bidding. Negotiated carve-outs with secured creditors to satisfy administrative claims.
- Inspiris, Inc. – Counsel to Inspiris, Inc., as debtor-in-possession lender, stalking horse bidder and successful purchaser of substantially all of the assets of Care Level Management Group, LLC, a provider of in-home healthcare services for chronically ill and elderly patients, in a chapter 11 case pending in the Central District of California.
- Weld Wheels, Inc. − Counsel to American Racing, Inc., in its $24 million acquisition of the assets of Weld Wheels, Inc., a manufacturer and distributor of premium aftermarket automobile, light truck, racing, and sport wheels to both domestic and international customers. Negotiated stalking horse bidder protections and purchase agreement, and advised client throughout sale process taking place through auction of assets in US Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Kansas. Successfully consummated client’s purchase as successful bidder.
- State of California Ex. Rel. Department of Water Resources − Counsel to State of California Ex Rel. Department of Water Resources and handled all bankruptcy aspects regarding State of California in the Chapter 11 bankruptcy case of California Power Exchange, the operator of several types of markets for wholesale electricity who matched suppliers and purchasers of electricity.
- Counsel to a landlord with respect to commercial shopping center leases involved in the Movie Gallery, Inc. and Big A Drugstores, Inc. Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases filed in 2007.
- Counsel to high profile individuals in the entertainment industry in out-of-court workouts and restructurings.
- Counsel to Sun Capital Partners in its acquisition of BMK, Inc. (debtor) through bankruptcy.
- Counsel to Sun Capital Partners in its acquisition of Wickes out of receivership.
- Counsel to American Healthcare Services, Inc. in its acquisition of Plastic Surgery Company.
- Counsel to CEO and President of Fredericks of Hollywood through company’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Counsel to Koo Koo Roo, Inc. in its acquisition of operating restaurants in Hamburger Hamlet Restaurant, Inc.’s Chapter 11 case.
- Counsel to both debtors as assignees and assignors, in the entertainment, health, manufacturing, and transportation industries, in a variety of assignments for the benefit of creditors under state statute.
- "2013 Bankruptcy Lawyer of the Year," Century City Bar Association
- "Top 50 Women," Southern California Super Lawyers
- "Top 50 Southern California Women Attorneys," Los Angeles Magazine
- Southern California Super Lawyers, Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law
- Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights /Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Litigation: Bankruptcy
- The United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California has recognized Ms. Itkin for several mediation awards, including:
- Mediator who settled the mediation conference with the most parties in the 2011-2012 term
- Mediator who conducted the longest mediation conference in the 2011-2012 term
- Mediator who conducted the conference involving the largest amount of money in the 2011-2012 term
- Corporate Counsel Top Lawyers
- Who's Who in LA Law, Los Angeles Business Journal, "Top 100" (one of only seven bankruptcy attorneys listed)
- Who's Who in LA Law, Los Angeles Business Journal
- "Century City Chamber of Commerce Women of Achievement"
- "Women of Accomplishment" Award from the Bnai Zion Foundation
- Ms. Itkin has also appeared on several television news outlets, including:
Select News & Events
- Century City Bar Names Robbin Itkin 'Bankruptcy Lawyer of the Year'
- Moderator, "Interactive Roundtables on Proposed Bankruptcy Code Reform", March 2013, American Bankruptcy Institute Bankruptcy Battleground West
- "Treatment of IP Licenses in Bankruptcy," PLI's Advanced Licensing Agreements 2013, January 30, 2013
- Southern California Super Lawyers Recognizes 13 Steptoe Attorneys
- Panelist, "Why Am I Being Sent to District Court, and What Do I Do There?" Selected Cases from the Ninth Circuit Interpreting Stern v. Marshall, September 2012, American Bankruptcy Institute Southwest Bankruptcy Conference
- Steptoe Receives 77 Individual Mentions in Best Lawyers 2013
- LA Business Journal Recognizes Robbin Itkin, Ruth Kahn as Women Making a Difference
- "Debt Workout Issues for Flow-Through Entities," January 26, 2012, CPAmerica International
- Southern California Super Lawyers Recognizes 12 Steptoe Attorneys
- Steptoe’s Robbin Itkin Appears on KNBC-TV to Discuss Dodgers Bankruptcy
- Moderator, "Women on Corporate Boards," Broads Circle, Los Angeles, CA, March 24, 2011
- Panelist, "Managing Conflicts in a Complex Commercial World," American Bankruptcy Institute Southwest Bankruptcy Conference, September 2010
- Co-Author, "Navigating the Minefield: Intellectual Property Licenses in Bankruptcy"Practising Law Institute Advance License Agreements Conference
- Robbin Itkin Quoted in The National Law Journal: "How to Structure 363 Sales of Assets in Bankruptcy," July 30, 2009
- Robbin Itkin Quoted in The Washington Post: "California's Wipeout Economy"March 25, 2009
- Co-Author, "White Paper: Options for Increasing the Protection of Motor Carriers in Bankruptcy Proceedings," American Trucking Association, November 2008
- Member, International Insolvency Institute, 2013
- Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy, 2004-present
- Insolvency Law Committee of the Business Law Section of the State Bar of California, 2012-2015
- Settlement Attorney, US District Court, Central District of California, 2007-present
- Certified Mediator, Central District of California Bankruptcy Court, 1995-present
- Board Member, Century City Chamber of Commerce, 2007-2010, 2012-
- Chair, Lawyer Representatives Coordinating Committee, Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, 2009-2010
- Chair-elect, Lawyer Representative Committee, Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, 2008
- Vice-Chair, Lawyer Representative Coordinating Committee, Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference; former Co-Chair of Central District of California Lawyer Representatives, 2006-2008
- Women's Leadership Council Board Member, 2007-present
- Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum, Board Member, 1995-present; President, 2001-2002; Vice President, 2000-2001; Program Chair, 1999-2000; Secretary, 1998-1999
- California Bankruptcy Forum, Co-Chair, 2001 Conference
- Board of Directors, Los Angeles Women's Leadership Council, 2007-present
- Director Emeritus, City of Hope National Medical Center and Beckman Research Institute, 2007-present; Board Member, 1997-2007
- Board of Directors, Former Chair of Governance Committee, Make-A-Wish Foundation of Greater Los Angeles, 2002-2008