Areas of Practice
- Intellectual Property
- Patent Counseling, Clearance, & Prosecution
- Patent Litigation
- Patent: Business Methods
- Patent: Electronics & Software
- Patent: Mechanical
- Patent: Nanotechnologies
- George Washington University School of Law, J.D., 2008
- Morgan State University, B.S., Electrical Engineering, 2003
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- US Patent and Trademark Office
Washington DC 20036
Tremayne Norris is an associate in the Washington office of Steptoe & Johnson LLP, where he is a member of the Intellectual Property group. Mr. Norris’ practice focuses primarily on assisting with intellectual property litigation and intellectual property counseling. He also is experienced in patent preparation and prosecution.
Specifically, Mr. Norris assists with patent infringement litigation, including actions in the federal courts and actions arising under Section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930 before the International Trade Commission. He has drafted and prosecuted numerous patent applications in matters involving such diverse technologies as computer software/hardware devices, wireless network communication, databases, search engines, electromechanical devices, and business methods.
Prior to joining Steptoe, Mr. Norris worked as a patent agent at another prominent law firm, where his work included patent preparation and prosecution as well as client counseling. Mr. Norris also worked as a patent examiner with the US Patent and Trademark Office where he reviewed patent applications in the network security and cryptography arts.
- Parallel Networks, LLC v. Backstage Web, Inc. et al. (D. Del.) – Representing Burberry, Ltd. and Forever 21 against allegations of patent infringement involving dynamically generated applets in Internet software applications.
- Certain Game Devices, Components Thereof, and Products Containing the Same, USITC Inv. No. 337-TA-757 – Represented Datel Design & Development, Inc., Datel Design & Development Ltd., Datel Direct Ltd., Datel Holdings Ltd., and Datel Electronics Ltd. against allegations of patent infringement involving wireless video game controllers.
- General Electric Company v. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. et al. (N.D. Tex.) – Representing Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. and Mitsubishi Power Systems Americas, Inc. against allegations of patent infringement involving wind turbine generators.
- SimpleAir, Inc. v. AWS Convergence Technologies, Inc., et al. (E.D. Tex.) - Representing Disney Online, ESPN Enterprises, Inc., and American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. in a patent infringement case involving patents for mobile messaging services.
- Site Update Solutions LLC v. Accor North America Inc. et al. (E.D. Tex.) – Representing American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. against allegations of patent infringement involving the update of Internet search engines.
- Parallel Networks, LLC v. Abercrombie & Fitch Co. et al. (E.D. Tex.) – Representing Disney Online, Time, Inc., and Toyota against allegations of patent infringement involving dynamically generated applets in Internet software applications.
- Sunbeam Products, Inc. v. Hamilton Beach Brands, et al. (E.D. Va.) – Represented Sunbeam Products, Inc. in a patent infringement suit involving technology related to blenders.
- W.E.T. Automotive Systems Ltd. v. Amerigon Inc. (E.D. Mich.) – Represented W.E.T. Automotive Systems Ltd. in a patent infringement case involving technology related to the heating and cooling of automobile seats.
- Xpoint Technologies, Inc. v. Intel Corporation, et al. (D. Del.) – Represented Sony Corporation, Sony Corporation of America, and Sony Electronics Inc. in a patent infringement case involving two patents for a data recovery system.
- Certain Prepregs, Laminates, and Finished Circuit Boards, USITC Inv. No. 337-TA-659 – Represented Guangdong Shengyi Sci. Tech Co., Ltd. against allegations of patent infringement involving fillers for improved epoxy laminates, which are used to make printed circuit boards.
- MHL Tek v. American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (E.D. Tex.) – Representing American Honda Motor Co., Inc. in patent litigation involving tire pressure sensor monitors.
- EasyWeb Technologies, Inc. v. Blip Networks, Inc., et al. (E.D. NY) – Represented Blip Networks, Inc., a leading video hosting, distribution, and media management service, in patent infringement litigation involving the upload of content to a website.
- TQP Development, LLC v. Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc. et al. (E.D. Tex.) – Represented Raymond James Financial, Inc. in a case involving encrypted data communications.
- Certain Short Wavelength Light Emitting Diodes, Laser Diode and Products Containing Same, USITC Inv. No. 337-TA-640 – Represented Toshiba Corporation against allegations of patent infringement involving a process for making a wide-band gap semiconductor capable of emitting certain wavelengths of light.
- Traffic Information, LLC v. Honda et al. (E.D. Tex.) – Represented Honda in a patent case involving in-vehicle navigation systems.