Areas of Practice
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 1985, Articles and Symposia Editor, Stetson Law Review
- University of Florida, B.A., 1980
- Hon. C. Roger Vinson, US District Court for the Northern District of Florida, 1985-1987
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals: Second, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, and Ninth Circuits
Roger W. Yoerges
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 8168
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Roger W. Yoerges is a partner in the Washington office of Steptoe, where he is a member of the Litigation Department and a member of the firm’s Products Liability, Pharmaceutical & Mass Tort Litigation practice.
Mr. Yoerges has handled large class actions, individual products liability claims, complex commercial disputes, trade secret litigation, non-compete and related employment matters, FDA regulatory litigation, large insurance coverage matters involving asbestos exposure, environmental contamination, and noise-induced hearing loss experienced by railroad workers nationwide, and litigation under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
For more than fifteen years, Mr. Yoerges has served as national coordinating counsel for an international pharmaceutical company, handling all of its products liability litigation involving polio vaccines. These cases require extensive knowledge of the scientific and regulatory issues unique to biological products. Mr. Yoerges also counsels manufacturers of a wide range of products, including medical devices, regarding labeling and risk management associated with product design and manufacture.
Mr. Yoerges has tried cases and participated in evidentiary and other hearings involving vaccine-related injuries, oil and gas leases (class action), non-compete and trade secret disputes, governmental zoning permits, complex insurance coverage matters, internet privacy, and corporate acquisitions. Mr. Yoerges also led a team in obtaining summary judgment after a three-week Daubert hearing that involved the controversial connection between a putative viral contaminant of polio vaccines and human cancers.
In addition to his trial-level work, Mr. Yoerges has argued in state and federal appellate courts on more than twenty occasions. He recently led a team in persuading a New Jersey appellate court to reverse the denial of summary judgment and to hold that a claim against a vaccine manufacturer must be tried in a special court established by the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986. He also convinced the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit not only to reconsider a long-standing decision involving the role that the FDA’s regulations should play in assessing liability, but also to hold that manufacturers should not be bound by that decision.
Prior to joining Steptoe & Johnson, Mr. Yoerges was a partner in an international law firm based in Washington, DC and Boston, MA.
Select News & Events
- Media Cover Steptoe's Appellate Win for Pfizer in Vaccine Case
- Roger Yoerges Spoke at American Conference Institute's National Advanced Forum on Managing and Resolving Mass Tort Products Liability Claims, September 29, 2010
- Appellate Victory in Oral Polio Vaccine Case
- Don't Get Burned: Hot Topics for a New Year - What Will Impact Products Defense in 2010?, February 23, 2010, (A Steptoe-Sponsored Event)
- Roger Yoerges Joins Steptoe as Partner in Washington Office
- “Educational Malpractice: Potentialities for Applying Procedural Due Process,” 14 Stetson Law Review 103 (1985).
- “Florida Functional Literacy Testing: Surviving Equal Protection Challenges,” 13 Stetson Law Review 387 (1984).
- American Bar Association
- The Defense Research Institute (Drugs and Medical Device Litigation)
- The International Association of Defense Counsel
- The Food and Drug Law Institute