Areas of Practice
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2007, Order of the Coif, Lead Articles Editor, Washington and Lee Law Review
- University of Michigan School of Music, B.M., with highest honors, 2002, James B. Angell Scholar
Bar & Court Admissions
- US District Court for the District of Arizona
Phoenix AZ 85004
TEL: +1 602 257 5282
FAX: +1 602 257 5299
Aaron Lockwood is an associate in Steptoe’s Phoenix office, where he is a member of the Litigation Department. His practice focuses on labor and employment, intellectual property, media and constitutional law, and commercial litigation.
Employment Litigation and Counseling
Mr. Lockwood’s employment litigation experience includes defending clients in both individual-plaintiff and class-based wage and hour, discrimination and retaliation claims in state and federal court. He has advised firm clients on a variety of employment matters, including Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), and Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) compliance, restrictive covenants, and use of independent contractors. Mr. Lockwood also has assisted clients with internal complaint investigations.
Intellectual Property Litigation
Mr. Lockwood has defended trademark, copyright, unfair competition and related state and federal claims against a range of firm clients, including an international big-box retailer, national furniture manufacturer, print and online magazine publisher, and mobile technology start-up. His intellectual property experience also has touched on issues of comparative advertising, the safe harbor provisions of the Communications Decency Act, and First Amendment defenses. In addition, Mr. Lockwood has published material on implied-in-fact contracts in the context of idea-submission claims.
Media and Constitutional Law
Mr. Lockwood has represented publishers of print, broadcast, and electronic media in defamation, privacy, and related constitutional law litigation. This experience has centered on prosecuting actions to secure public records and open government, and blocking subpoenas of reporters.
Mr. Lockwood’s general litigation experience has involved complex commercial disputes on behalf of the firm’s corporate clients, with an emphasis on managing discovery and e-discovery. He has worked on cases relating to a wide range of substantive areas, such as contract, product liability, and franchise law. Mr. Lockwood has briefed appeals in appellate courts in Arizona and New Mexico. In addition, he has assisted clients through private mediation and arbitration.
Pro Bono Work
Mr. Lockwood’s pro bono work has focused on immigration matters. He has assisted Guatemalan and Mexican juveniles who fled from abuse or neglect to obtain lawful permanent residence in the United States, and has appeared in administrative proceedings before the US Citizenship and Immigration Services and in Immigration Court.
- Southwest Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," Civil Litigation: Defense, 2014 - 2016
Select News & Events
- Southwest Super Lawyers Recognizes 19 Steptoe Attorneys
- Media Cover Steptoe’s Win for Lexington Insurance Co.
- Southwest Super Lawyers Recognizes 17 Steptoe Attorneys
- Southwest Super Lawyers Recognizes 23 Steptoe Attorneys
- Society of Professional Journalists Honors Aaron Lockwood
- Co-author, State Q&A Guide: Arizona Right of Publicity Law, Practical Law Company (2012)
- Co-author, Industry Custom in Idea-Submission Claims: The Keystone to Implied-in-Fact Contracts, Media Law Resource Center Bulletin (2009)
- Contributing Author, Arizona Chapter, Media Law Resource Center Annual 50-State Survey: Employment Libel and Privacy Law (2008-2013)
- Contributing Author, Arizona Chapter, Media Law Resource Center Annual 50-State Survey: Media Privacy and Related Law (2008-2013)
- Author, The Primary Jurisdiction Doctrine: Competing Standards of Appellate Review64 Washington and Lee Law Review 707 (2007)
- State Bar of Arizona
- American Bar Association