Areas of Practice
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2007, Order of the Coif, Lead Articles Editor, Washington and Lee Law Review
- University of Michigan School of Music, B.M., with highest honors, 2002, James B. Angell Scholar
Bar & Court Admissions
- US District Court for the District of Arizona
Phoenix AZ 85004
TEL: +1 602 257 5282
FAX: +1 602 257 5299
Aaron Lockwood focuses his practice on insurance coverage and claim handling issues, and insurer bad faith. He also has broad experience litigating high-stakes contractual and commercial disputes in both state and federal courts around the country. Southwest Super Lawyers has recognized him as a “Rising Star” in the realm of civil defense every year since 2014.
Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith Litigation
Mr. Lockwood regularly represents major insurance companies against contractual, extra-contractual, and punitive damages claims involving a range of insurance products, including workers’ compensation, builders’ risk and auto policies, and health benefit plans. Recent insurance matters include:
- Securing dismissal of unjust-enrichment and tort claims under Nevada law against a health insurer asserted by an out-of-network hospital system claiming more than $30 million in alleged underpayments.
- Prevailing on summary judgment on key issues of causation under Utah law in a builders’ risk coverage and bad faith case involving an iron ore plant where the insured had alleged over $200 million in physical damages and delay-in-completion loss.
- Successfully defending a national insurer against bad faith claims arising from its handling of claims under Arizona’s workers’ compensation system.
Mr. Lockwood regularly represents corporate clients in a variety of complex business disputes, including contract claims, employee benefits, franchise law, and consumer protection statutes. He has represented clients in all phases of litigation, including appeals, having briefed cases before appellate courts in both Arizona and New Mexico. In addition, he has guided clients through private mediation and arbitration, including conducting a two-week, multimillion-dollar arbitration hearing in a franchise dispute, prevailing on a negligent misrepresentation claim for the franchisee.
Pro Bono Work
Mr. Lockwood maintains an active pro bono practice. He has assisted Guatemalan and Mexican juveniles who fled from abuse or neglect to obtain lawful permanent residence in the United States, appearing in administrative proceedings before the US Citizenship and Immigration Services, and in Immigration Court. More recently, he has worked to obtain coverage for transition-related care for transgender youth under Arizona’s Medicaid program.
- Southwest Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," Civil Litigation: Defense, 2014-2016
Select News & Events
- Southwest Super Lawyers Recognizes 19 Steptoe Attorneys
- Media Cover Steptoe’s Win for Lexington Insurance Co.
- Southwest Super Lawyers Recognizes 17 Steptoe Attorneys
- Southwest Super Lawyers Recognizes 23 Steptoe Attorneys
- Society of Professional Journalists Honors Aaron Lockwood
- Co-author, State Q&A Guide: Arizona Right of Publicity Law, Practical Law Company (2012)
- Co-author, Industry Custom in Idea-Submission Claims: The Keystone to Implied-in-Fact Contracts, Media Law Resource Center Bulletin (2009)
- Contributing Author, Arizona Chapter, Media Law Resource Center Annual 50-State Survey: Employment Libel and Privacy Law (2008-2013)
- Contributing Author, Arizona Chapter, Media Law Resource Center Annual 50-State Survey: Media Privacy and Related Law (2008-2013)
- Author, The Primary Jurisdiction Doctrine: Competing Standards of Appellate Review64 Washington and Lee Law Review 707 (2007)
- State Bar of Arizona
- American Bar Association