Areas of Practice
- China Insurance & Reinsurance
- Financial Services
- Insurance & Reinsurance
- London & Brussels Insurance, Reinsurance & Regulatory Practice
- Reinsurance Litigation, Arbitration & Counseling
- Financial Products Coverage Litigation & Counseling
- International Arbitration
- Blockchain and Digital Currency
- Spanish (basic)
- London College of Law, 1992
- Solicitor Advocate, England & Wales
London, EC2V 7HR
TEL: +44 20 7367 8048
FAX: +44 20 7367 8001
Angus Rodger is a partner in Steptoe's London office.
The UK Chambers legal directory states that clients describe him as a "very knowledgeable" lawyer and feel he "really adds value to the business" with his "solution-oriented" advice.
International commercial dispute resolution
A solicitor advocate, Mr. Rodger exercises advocacy rights in front of the English higher courts, and appears in national and international commercial arbitrations. His recent engagements include representing: an airline in High Court antitrust litigation (several lawsuits with claim amounts exceeding US$ 1 billion); a manufacturer in antitrust litigation relating to batteries; a financial institution in an LCIA arbitration regarding an alleged US$1 billion fraud; the insurance market in an LCIA arbitration over a £350 million Bermuda Form claim; a distributor in ICC proceedings in Kuwait over the unlawful termination of a long-standing relationship; the Defendant to a High Court dispute claim regarding alleged breach of a joint venture to develop several commercial properties; and an insurer in a large dispute relating to The Deepwater Horizon incident.
Mr. Rodger is ranked as a leading lawyer by Thomson Reuters - London Super Lawyer for Advocacy.
Mr. Rodger has drafted and negotiated many types of insurance policy wordings. He has advised on risk-transfer and alternative risk transactions, including BAE Systems’ $4 billion FRIP, and pension buy-in/buy-out contracts with values exceeding $500 million. He advises insurers and reinsurers on regulation and transactional matters, and is coordinating a leading insurer’s strategy for dealing with PPI issues.
Mr. Rodger is listed in Euromoney’s Expert Guide to the World’s Best Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers and The International Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers. He is ranked as a leading lawyer in Chambers UK for both Reinsurance and Insurance Non-Contentious.
He is ranked as a leading lawyer for insurance and reinsurance claims in Chambers UK, Chambers Global and The Legal 500.
He is the author and contributing author of three books on insurance and reinsurance law, namely EC Insurance Law (Longman), Reinsurance Claims Handling (Witherby) and A Guide to Reinsurance Law (Informa). He is a member of the AIDA reinsurance committee, and chairman of the insurance chapter of the IPBA, Asia's leading law association.
- Microsoft Mobile Oy v Sony Europe Ltd and others,  EWHC 374 (Ch)
- PA(GI) Ltd v GICL 2013 Ltd  EWHC 1556 (Ch)
- Winterthur v Merrill Lynch  2 All ER Comm 846,
- Dow v Novoklav  1 Lloyd’s Rep 306,
- Sword-Daniels v Pitel  4 All ER 385, and
- Napier v Kershaw  AC 713.
- Leading Individual, Chambers UK 2016, Insurance: Non-contentious; Insurance: Contentious Claims; and Insurance: Reinsurance
- Leading Individual, Chambers UK 2015, Insurance: Non-contentious; Insurance: Contentious Claims; and Insurance: Reinsurance
- Recommended Individual - Insurance & Reinsurance Litigation - Legal 500 (2015)
- Ranked, Chambers Global 2014-2017: Insurance
- Who's Who Legal - The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers 2015
- Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom 2013-2018, Insurance Law
- Ranked, London Super Lawyers: Business Edition 2013 in Business Affairs
- Leading Individual, Chambers UK 2014, Insurance: Non-contentious; Insurance: Contentious Claims; and Insurance: Reinsurance
- Intelligent Insurer: The Legal Elite - Commended (2013)
- Leading Individual, Chambers UK 2012, Insurance: Contentious Claims and Reinsurance
- UK Legal Experts 2011, Insurance
- Who's Who Legal - The International Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers (2011, 2013-14)
- Euromoney’s Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers (2008-09, 2013)
- Listed, London Super Lawyers 2013
Select News & Events
- Steptoe Receives 14 Practice, 30 Individual Mentions in Chambers Global 2017
- Media Cover Steptoe’s Win for LG Chem in UK Civil Antitrust Litigation
- Chambers UK 2017 Recognizes Steptoe Lawyers
- Steptoe Receives 13 Practice, 12 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 UK 2016
- Commercial Risk Europe Covers Steptoe’s Brexit Webinar
- Brexit: Legal & Regulatory Options for the Re/insurance Sector, July 6, 2016, A Steptoe-sponsored event
- Steptoe Receives 13 Practice, 31 Individual Mentions in Chambers Global 2016
- Antitrust for Insurers and Reinsurers - Staying Clear of Competition Law Pitfalls, February 24, 2016, A Steptoe-sponsored event
- Angus Rodger speaks at ARIAS Europe's annual conference "Contract Certainty and Avoiding and Managing Dispute in Insurance and Reinsurance Matters 2012", September 2012
- Angus Rodger acts as Moderator for "The Deepwater Horizon: Banking, Energy, Environmental and Insurance Implications" at the Inter-Pacific Bar Association, April 2011
- Angus Rodger presents to Singapore College of Insurance on "Managing Reinsurance Claims", April 19, 2011
- Angus Rodger Presents to Singapore College of Insurance, April 18, 2011
- Regional Vice-Chair, Insurance and Reinsurance, Lex Mundi
- Past Chairman, Insurance Chapter, Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- British Insurance Law Association
- Panel Member, Reinsurance Working Party of AIDA (Association of Insurance Law/Association Internationale de Droit des Assurances)