Areas of Practice
- White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Securities Litigation & Enforcement
- Congressional Oversight & Investigations
- Antitrust & Competition
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., summa cum laude, 1996, Francis E. Lucey S.J. Award (highest grade point average in graduating class)
- Dartmouth College, B.A., 1993
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- US Supreme Court
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
Brian M. Heberlig
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 8134
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Brian M. Heberlig, a partner in Steptoe’s Washington office, heads the firm’s White-Collar Criminal Defense practice group, which was named The National Law Journal's Washington Litigation Department of the Year in White-Collar Crime in 2014. He defends individuals and corporations in all phases of federal criminal investigations and prosecutions with an emphasis on trial work.
Mr. Heberlig is recognized as a leading lawyer in white-collar criminal defense by Chambers USA, Washingtonian magazine, and Super Lawyers. He was also deemed one of Washington, DC's top 40 lawyers under 40 by The National Law Journal in 2009.
White-Collar Criminal Defense
Mr. Heberlig represents clients in federal courts in pre-trial, trial, sentencing, and appellate proceedings. He has defended corporate executives, public officials, and other individuals and entities in matters involving allegations of public corruption, securities and accounting fraud, campaign finance violations, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations, antitrust conspiracies, health care fraud, tax evasion, obstruction of justice, environmental crimes, and export violations.
Mr. Heberlig has also conducted internal investigations on behalf of corporate clients to examine allegations of criminal conduct and handled parallel civil proceedings arising out of criminal investigations, including multi-district securities fraud litigation, Congressional investigations, Securities and Exchange Commission enforcement proceedings, and Federal Election Commission matters.
Mr. Heberlig currently serves as the Chair of the DC Regional Subcommittee of the American Bar Association’s White-Collar Crime Committee.
Mr. Heberlig has served as trial counsel in several high-profile cases, including the defense of former WorldCom CEO Bernie Ebbers on securities fraud charges, Washington, DC real estate developer Douglas Jemal on bribery and tax evasion charges, Naval Academy quarterback Lamar Owens at a general court martial, and DC Metropolitan Police Department homicide detective Erick Brown on obstruction of justice charges.
Mr. Heberlig’s recent representations include a defendant in the FCPA "sting" investigation, former Congressman Richard Renzi, a former Blackwater security guard, a DOJ trial attorney in the Special Counsel investigation relating to the prosecution of former Senator Ted Stevens, and Control Components Inc. in a criminal FCPA matter.
He has also actively participated in the representations of a former Audit Committee Chairman of Chiquita Brands International, a former General Counsel of Tyco, a former Chairman of the US House of Representatives Transportation Committee, the Republic of Kazakhstan, a City Councilman in Michigan, a former CEO of Firestone, two high-profile individuals prosecuted by the Department of Justice's Campaign Finance Task Force, a former Secretary of Agriculture, and an executive of Archer Daniels Midland.
- Ranked in Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers; Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (District of Columbia), 2012-2014
- Recommended by Legal 500 US 2012-2014 for Litigation: White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Listed in Washington, DC Super Lawyers, Criminal Defense (White-Collar), 2010-2014
- "Top 100 Lawyer," Washington, DC Super Lawyers, 2014
- Named one of Washington, DC's top 40 lawyers under 40 by The National Law Journal 2009
- Named in "Best Lawyers" for White-Collar Criminal Defense by Washingtonian magazine, 2011, 2013
- Named a Top Lawyer in Criminal Defense by Washingtonian magazine, 2009
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2014, White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Named a Rising Star in White-Collar Defense by Law360 2011
- Co-Chair of the American Bar Association's White-Collar Crime Subcommittee on Public Corruption and Extortion 2008-2012
- Chair of the American Bar Association's DC White-Collar Crime DC Regional Subcommittee 2012-2013
Select News & Events
- National Law Journal Names Steptoe White-Collar Crime Group of the Year
- Steptoe Receives 18 Practice, 75 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 US 2014
- Steptoe Receives 20 Practice, 59 Individual Mentions in Chambers USA 2014
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers Recognizes 59 Steptoe Attorneys
- Washingtonian Names Steptoe Partners to ‘Best Lawyers’ List
- Steptoe Receives 80 Individual Mentions in Best Lawyers 2014
- "The Year of the FCPA Trial: Recent Developments," ABA Young White-Collar Lawyers Committee, April 23, 2012
- "The Speech or Debate Clause and its Impact in Public Corruption Cases," ABA White-Collar Crime Public Corruption and Extortion Subcommittee, January 29, 2009
- Brian Heberlig on Panel at Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court: Recovery and Use of Electronic Data, March 15, 2007
- Brian Heberlig on Panel at ABA White-Collar Crime Conference: Successful Strategies in Managing a White Collar Investigation, March 1, 2007
- Brian Heberlig on ABA Subcommittee's Tales from the Courtroom Panel, January 17, 2007
- Brian Heberlig on Panel at the Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court: Tips for Trying Complex Fraud Cases, November 17, 2005
June 2006, American Criminal Law Review
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section, Co-Chairman, Public Corruption and Extortion Subcommittee of the White-Collar Crime Committee (2008-2012)