Areas of Practice
- White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Government & Internal Investigations
- Securities Litigation & Enforcement
- Congressional Oversight & Investigations
- Antitrust & Competition
- Crisis Management
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., summa cum laude, 1996, Francis E. Lucey S.J. Award (highest grade point average in graduating class)
- Dartmouth College, B.A., 1993
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- US Supreme Court
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 8134
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Brian M. Heberlig defends individuals and corporations in all phases of federal criminal investigations and prosecutions with an emphasis on trial work. Chambers USA 2016 describes him as a "premier" criminal defense attorney with “spectacular” courtroom advocacy, with one source noting that "he is an outstanding and well-rounded lawyer, a very good public speaker, detail-oriented and well prepared."
Recently, Mr. Heberlig secured an acquittal for David Rainey, the highest ranking BP executive charged in connection with the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, on a false statements charge tried in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Mr. Heberlig defends corporate executives, public officials, and other individuals and entities in matters involving allegations of public corruption, securities and accounting fraud, campaign finance violations, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations, antitrust conspiracies, health care fraud, tax evasion, obstruction of justice, environmental crimes, and export violations.
Mr. Heberlig also conducts internal investigations on behalf of corporate clients to examine allegations of criminal conduct and handles parallel civil proceedings arising out of criminal investigations, including multi-district securities fraud litigation, Congressional investigations, Securities and Exchange Commission enforcement proceedings, and Federal Election Commission matters.
Mr. Heberlig chairs the firm’s White-Collar Criminal Defense Group, which was named a Law360 White-Collar "Group of the Year" in 2016, and The National Law Journal's Washington Litigation Department of the Year in White-Collar Crime in 2014. He has been repeatedly recognized as a top white-collar defense attorney by Washingtonian magazine, The National Law Journal, The Legal 500 US, Law360, and Best Lawyers in America, and has been named by Super Lawyers as one of the Top 100 lawyers in Washington, a recognition based on a vote of peers. Mr. Heberlig also currently serves as a co-chair of the DC Regional Subcommittee of the American Bar Association’s White-Collar Crime Committee.
- Most recently, in 2015, Mr. Heberlig served as trial counsel and secured an acquittal for David Rainey, the highest ranking BP executive charged in connection with the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, on a false statements charge tried in New Orleans, Louisiana. The acquittal followed the district court’s dismissal, on the first day of trial, of a related obstruction of Congress charge, after extensive pre-trial litigation in which the Steptoe defense team successfully argued that selective invocation of the Speech or Debate Clause privilege by congressional witnesses interfered with Mr. Rainey’s right to present a defense.
- In 2014, Mr. Heberlig was lead trial counsel for Paul Slough, a former Blackwater security guard, in an 11-week, 75-witness trial relating to a 2007 shooting incident in Nisur Square in Baghdad, Iraq.
- Mr. Heberlig has also served as trial counsel in several other high-profile cases, including the defense of former WorldCom CEO Bernie Ebbers on securities fraud charges, DC real estate developer Douglas Jemal on bribery and tax evasion charges, Naval Academy quarterback Lamar Owens at a general court martial, and DC Metropolitan Police Department homicide detective Erick Brown on obstruction of justice charges.
- Mr. Heberlig’s recent representations include a defendant in the FCPA "sting" investigation; former Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr., former Congressman Richard Renzi, and former DC councilmember Michael Brown in public corruption matters; a DOJ trial attorney in the Special Counsel investigation relating to the prosecution of former Senator Ted Stevens; and Control Components Inc. in a criminal FCPA matter.
- He has also represented a former Audit Committee Chairman of Chiquita Brands International, a former General Counsel of Tyco, a former Chairman of the US House of Representatives Transportation Committee, the Republic of Kazakhstan, a City Councilmember in Michigan, a former CEO of Firestone, two high-profile individuals prosecuted by the Department of Justice's Campaign Finance Task Force, a former Secretary of Agriculture, and an executive of Archer Daniels Midland.
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers; Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (District of Columbia), 2012-2016
- Legal 500 US, Litigation: White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2012-2016
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers, Criminal Defense (White-Collar), 2010-2016
- "Top 100 Lawyer," Washington, DC Super Lawyers, 2014-2015
- Named one of Washington, DC's top 40 lawyers under 40 by The National Law Journal 2009
- Named in "Best Lawyers" for White-Collar Criminal Defense by Washingtonian magazine, 2011, 2013, 2015
- Named a Top Lawyer in Criminal Defense by Washingtonian magazine, 2009
- Best Lawyers in America, White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2014-2017
- "Rising Star" in White-Collar Defense by Law360, 2011
- Co-Chair of the American Bar Association's White-Collar Crime Subcommittee on Public Corruption and Extortion 2008-2012
Select News & Events
- "Landmark White-Collar Crime Trials: Individual Prosecutions in Wake of Major Disasters," American Bar Association, September 26, 2016
- Steptoe Receives 80 Individual Mentions in Best Lawyers 2017
- Steptoe Receives 26 Practice, 120 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 US 2016
- Steptoe Receives 20 Practice, 63 Individual Mentions in Chambers USA 2016
- “The (Over) Criminalization of Big Accidents,” Forum on Corporate Enforcement, May 25, 2016
- "Getting the Ear of Your Audit Committee and Board: Corporate Governance Considerations Affecting Your FCPA and SEC Compliance Status and Exposure,” ACI’s 18th Annual New York Conference on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, May 16, 2016
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers Recognizes 55 Steptoe Attorneys
- Law360 Names Steptoe ‘White-Collar Group of the Year’
- Washingtonian Names Steptoe Partners to ‘Best Lawyers’ List
- “Scholars & Scoundrels: Media Access to Evidence in the Digital Age,” Council for Court Excellence, January 29, 2015
- "The Year of the FCPA Trial: Recent Developments," ABA Young White-Collar Lawyers Committee, April 23, 2012
- "The Speech or Debate Clause and its Impact in Public Corruption Cases," ABA White-Collar Crime Public Corruption and Extortion Subcommittee, January 29, 2009
June 2006, American Criminal Law Review