Areas of Practice
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1964
- Amherst College, B.A., cum laude, Economics, 1962
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 8169
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
David L. Roll is a partner in Steptoe's Washington office, where his practice focuses on antitrust and administrative law. From 1993 through February 1998 he served as Chairman of Steptoe & Johnson LLP. Mr. Roll also spearheads Steptoe’s participation in Lex Mundi, a global alliance of high quality law firms which enables Steptoe to meet clients’ needs throughout the world.
Before joining the firm in 1975, Mr. Roll was Assistant Director of the Bureau of Competition at the Federal Trade Commission and was responsible for litigation of approximately one quarter of the Bureau's antitrust cases. In recent years, he has chaired the Section 7 (Clayton Act) and Robinson Patman Act Committees of the Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association and the Energy Committee of the ABA's Litigation Section.
Mr. Roll has concentrated his practice in antitrust counseling and litigation for almost 30 years. Mr. Roll has successfully defended clients in investigations and enforcement actions brought by the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission. He is experienced in merger analysis, asset redeployment planning, the Hart-Scott-Rodino filing and second request process and the latest techniques for securing approval of proposed mergers and joint ventures. Mr. Roll is also experienced in defending clients in litigation and trial of complex treble damage cases and in advising trade associations.
During the past few years, Mr. Roll has acted as outside counsel for the American Bar Association. Since 2002, he has represented the ABA in its suit against the FTC challenging its interpretation of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and obtained a highly favorable decision from Judge Walton in the Federal District Court for the District of Columbia. In addition, he negotiated a consent decree with the Department of Justice and handled the Tunney Act proceedings in connection with the government's challenge to the ABA's law school accreditation practices under the Sherman Act.
Administrative Law and Litigation
Over the years Mr. Roll has challenged and defended dozens of federal regulations and regulatory actions. These have involved crude oil and refined product pricing, banking, insurance, food and drug, ocean carriage, and consumer credit. In the course of this work, Mr. Roll has litigated in numerous federal agencies, federal district courts, most federal circuit courts, and the US Supreme Court. In a six-week jury trial, Mr. Roll tried the last major case brought under the federal oil price controls.
- Listed in Washington, DC, Super Lawyers 2013 for Antitrust Litigation
- Euromoney’s Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Competition and Antitrust Lawyers (2006, 2008, 2010)
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers 2007
- Assistant Director, Bureau of Competition, Federal Trade Commission, Awards for distinguished service
Select News & Events
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers Recognizes 42 Steptoe Attorneys
- David Roll Honored as 2009 Purpose Prize Fellow for Innovation, Extraordinary Contribution in Encore Career
- 17 DC Attorneys Listed in Super Lawyers 2007
- David Roll on Panel, "Funding the Public Good", January 19, 2007
- Lex Mundi Launches Worldwide Pro Bono Initiative
- David Roll Discusses Book at Woodrow Wilson Center, January 18, 2006
- Book about Firm Founder Reviewed in Washington Times
- Victory for Legal Profession
- The FTC as an Antitrust Enforcement Agency: Its Structure, Powers and Procedures, an American Bar Association Monograph
- American Bar Association
- Antitrust Section
- Chair, Clayton Act Committee, 1985-1988
- Vice Chair, Robinson-Patman Act Committee, 1984-1985
- Litigation Section
- Co-Chair, Energy Committee, 1992-1993