Areas of Practice
- Patent Litigation
- Patent Office Practice
- Post-Grant Proceedings
- Intellectual Property
- Patent Transactions and Strategic Counseling
- Copyright and Entertainment
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology, J.D., with honors, 2001
- University of Illinois, B.S., 1998
Bar & Court Admissions
- US District Court for the Central District of California
- US District Court for the Northern District of California
- US District Court for the Southern District of California
- US Patent and Trademark Office
Los Angeles CA 90071
TEL: +1 213 439 9417
FAX: +1 213 439 9599
Douglas R. Peterson is of counsel in Steptoe's Los Angeles office, where he is a member of the Intellectual Property Group. He concentrates his practice on intellectual property litigation and patent prosecution. In addition, he has extensive experience in inter partes review proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. Mr. Peterson is experienced in all areas of electrical engineering, bioengineering, medical devices, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, and business methods.
In addition, Mr. Peterson is experienced in providing validity, clearance, and patent infringement opinions. He also advises clients, ranging from start-up companies to large corporations, in the areas of patent portfolio management and development.
- The Tawnsaura Group, LLC v. Bodybuilding.com, LLC (C.D. Cal.) – Representing Bodybuilding.com in a patent infringement action concerning orthomolecular medical use of L-citrulline.
- Semiconductor Energy Laboratory, Co., LTD v. ChiMei Innolux Corp., et al. (C.D. Cal.) - Representing SEL in patent litigation against six defendants accused of infringing six of SEL's patents relating to liquid crystal displays (LCDs).
- Newport Controls v. Balboa Instruments Inc. et al. (C.D. Cal.) – Representing Balboa in a patent infringement action involving spa controllers.
- Newport Controls v. Balboa Instruments Inc. et al. (C.D. Cal.) – Representing Balboa in an antitrust action.
- Balboa Instruments, Inc. v. Consumer Engineering, Inc. (C.D. Cal.) – Representing Balboa in a patent infringement action involving electronic spa controllers.
- Balboa Instruments, Inc. v. Presair LLC (C.D. Cal.) – Representing Balboa in a patent infringement action involving electronic spa controllers.
- Madison One Acme Inc et al v. Ahn Tran et al. (C.D. Cal.) – Representing Madison Once Acme and Wong to Yick Wood Lock Ointment Ltd in a trademark infringement action.
Select News & Events
- California State Bar
- Illinois State Bar
- Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association