Areas of Practice
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 2004
- Georgetown University, A.B., cum laude, 2001
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 6424
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
A. Hunter Hodges is of counsel in Steptoe's Washington office, where he is a member of the Regulatory & Industry Affairs Department. Mr. Hodges’ practice focuses primarily on electric utility law and energy transactions, and also includes natural gas and oil pipeline matters.
Mr. Hodges has represented electric utilities and their affiliates before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) in cases involving wholesale market rules and market design issues, mergers and acquisitions, market-based rates, transmission pricing and rate design, wholesale power sales, contract disputes, and the Commission’s refund authority. Mr. Hodges’ electric utility practice includes representing utilities before federal courts of appeals. Mr. Hodges also represents natural gas local distribution companies, energy investors, and electric utilities before the Commission in matters arising under the Natural Gas Act and Natural Gas Policy Act.
- Represents a major California utility in litigation before the FERC and the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, arising from the California electricity crisis.
- Represents a utility’s energy trading affiliate in connection with the Midwest ISO’s market rules governing the allocation of generator uplift payments and financial electric trading.
- Represented an energy investment firm in its acquisition of a major independent power producer.
- Advises and represents utilities with respect to cost recovery in connection with their industry restructuring activities.
- Represented a utility before the FERC, Southern District of New York, and the Second Circuit in a contract dispute arising from a merchant utility’s bankruptcy.
- Represents a major Midwestern utility in matters concerning the regional cost allocation for backbone extra-high-voltage transmission facilities.
- Advised an energy investment firm in its acquisition of a natural gas LDC.