Areas of Practice
- Consortium, Data Rights & Trade Association Management
- Environment & Life Sciences
- Medical Devices
- Chemical Regulation
- REACH / CLP
- Antimicrobials (FIFRA) & Biocides (BPD & BPR)
- Enforcement Support & Legal Advocacy
- Environment: Air, Land, Water & Waste
- Life Sciences, Food & Health
- Consumer Products
- Centre Régional de Formation Professionnelle des Avocats, Bordeaux, CAPA, Law, 1998
- Université de Rennes I, Master’s, International Business Law, 1995
- The University of Kent, Diploma, English Law, 1992
- Université Montesquieu-Bordeaux IV, Master’s, EU Law, 1992
- Université Montesquieu-Bordeaux IV, Law Degree, French Law, 1991
Bar & Court Admissions
- Paris Bar
- Brussels Bar [E List]
TEL: +32 2 626 0533
FAX: +32 2 626 0510
Indiana de Seze’s practice is a distinctive combination of EU chemicals regulation and competition. She focuses predominantly on REACH, biocides, plant protection products, and other applications of chemicals requiring regulatory clearance or pre-market authorizations. With her training and experience as a competition and commercial lawyer, Ms. de Seze offers clients cutting-edge analyses and pragmatic solutions to tackle antitrust issues in the context of consortia and data sharing.
Ms. de Seze regularly advises clients on their registration duties and the legal consequences of substance and dossier evaluation procedures under REACH. She forms and provides legal support to consortia of companies for the purpose of joint submissions. She counsels on data protection and data sharing negotiations, with significant experience in the formation of task forces and in their dealings with the competent authorities and companies. In the biocides area, Ms. de Seze helps companies in the biocidal product market to transition to the Biocidal Product Regulation and roll out successful active substance and product registration strategies across the EU.
Her litigation work in the area involves representing clients before the EU and national courts, and the Board of Appeal of the European Chemicals Agency. Specifically, she represented a consortium of companies in a data sharing dispute and an Only representative in a challenge of a decision ordering additional testing, both before ECHA’s Board of Appeal.
As part of her EU product safety and compliance work, Ms de Seze advises clients on a selection of EU regulatory and environmental areas. This includes waste such as batteries and electronic waste (WEEE), as well as market access for a variety of products and industries, including eco-design, energy-using products, CE marking, labeling, hazardous substances in electronic goods (RoHS), nanomaterials, food (claims, additives, food-contact), medical devices, and pharmaceutical products. She is also closely following developments on Eco-label, BREFs, water, and environmental footprint of products.
Ms. de Seze has worked on a number of significant EU cases in the areas of merger control, horizontal and vertical agreements, information sharing and cartel defense, anti-dumping, and commercial arbitration. She advises clients on distribution, contractual arrangements, terms and conditions, pricing solutions, and in trade practice matters. She also has developed significant experience providing legal support to international trade associations.
- Legal 500 EMEA, EU Regulatory: Chemicals (REACH) 2016, 2017
- Legal 500 EMEA, EU Regulatory: Environment, including WEE and RoHS 2015, 2016
Select News & Events
- EU Biocides Seminar: The End of the Beginning, May 18, 2017, A Steptoe-sponsored event
- Steptoe Receives Five Practice, 15 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 EMEA
- Regulation of Biocidal Products and Treated Articles – Continued EU Market Access for Thai Exporters, February 16, 2017
- Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals Criteria in the EU: State of Play, February 15, 2017
- Steptoe Announces Promotions
- Cooperation and Consortia for the September 1 BPR Deadlines, June 29, 2016, A Steptoe-sponsored event
- Product Defense Strategies for REACH & Biocides, A Steptoe-sponsored event
- Steptoe Receives Six Practice, 22 Individual Mentions in The Legal 500 EMEA
- Biocidal Product Regulation: Sharing Knowledge & Learning from Experience, August 27, 2015
- Steptoe Receives Six Practice, 14 Individual Mentions The Legal 500 EMEA
- Steptoe Bolsters Environment & Life Sciences Practice with Ruxandra Cana and Her Team