Areas of Practice
- Brigham Young University, J. Rueben Clark Law School, J.D., summa cum laude, 1990, Order of the Coif, Editor-in-Chief, Brigham Young University Law Review
- University of Calgary, B.S. in Psychology, 1986
- Hon. Justice Clarence Thomas and former Chief Justice Warren E. Burger, US Supreme Court, 1992-1993
- Hon. John T. Noonan, US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 1990-1991
Bar & Court Admissions
Karl M. Tilleman
Phoenix AZ 85004
TEL: +1 602 257 5244
FAX: +1 602 257 5299
Karl M. Tilleman is a partner in the Phoenix office of Steptoe. As a member of the Commercial Litigation Department, his practice focuses on litigating antitrust, intellectual property, RICO, insurance coverage and bad faith, construction, and environmental disputes. Mr. Tilleman's clients include leaders in the insurance, healthcare, money transmitter, and entertainment industries.
Recent and Current Matters:
- Representing Allstate, Chartis, MetLife, and other major insurance carriers in numerous complex coverage and bad-faith actions across the country.
- Currently representing MetLife Bank in MERS foreclosure litigation in federal and state courts in Arizona, California, Nevada, and Utah, including multi-district litigation in Arizona and putative nationwide and statewide class actions. Dismissals for MetLife Bank have been obtained in several cases.
- Represented Allstate Insurance Company and prevailed on summary judgment in numerous "bad faith" cases in federal and state courts across the country. Most recently, represented Allstate in a case in which the plaintiffs alleged bad faith and sought punitive damages in Tucson, Arizona. Our team secured a precedent-setting summary judgment ruling by the Federal Court.
- Represented Western Union in a contract dispute in the US District Court for the Central District of California. The Court granted summary judgment for Western Union and published its opinion, which contains important precedent dealing with contract interpretation under California law.
- Represented Insurance Company of the State of Pennsylvania (a Chartis affiliate) in a complex workers’-compensation bad-faith case alleging "institutional" bad faith and mishandling of the plaintiff’s claims for medical and lost-earnings benefits. The court granted several motions for partial summary judgment, dismissing the plaintiff’s claims of bad faith, punitive damages, vicarious liability for the alleged malpractice of an independent medical examiner, and aiding and abetting – thereby effectively disposing of the case. The motions successfully addressed a host of allegations ranging from an alleged delay in authorizing payment for surgery, to allegedly improper use of an independent medical examiner, to the denial or partial denial of various claims for lost-earnings and medical-related benefits.
- Represented the Harlem Globetrotters as lead trial counsel in an intellectual property action brought in Federal Court by Meadowlark Lemon, Curly Neal, and other former Globetrotter superstars.
- Represented Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems, Inc. (MERS) in foreclosure litigation in Utah state court. The Court granted a dismissal of the claims against MERS with prejudice.
- Represented the University of Southern California and Urban Partners in a multi-million dollar antitrust and RICO lawsuit in Federal Court in Los Angeles, California.
- Represented a MetLife entity in California state court in a multi-million dollar action on issues of agency, fraud, negligence and breach of fiduciary duty arising from the sale of a life insurance policy.
- Represented Western Union in a subpoena enforcement action versus the State of Arizona.
- Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, 2011 - 2015
- Southwest Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2009 - 2014
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers, Litigation: General Commercial (Arizona), 2011-2012
- Arizona's Finest Lawyers, 2011
Select News & Events
- Steptoe Receives 77 Individual Mentions in Best Lawyers 2015
- Southwest Super Lawyers Recognizes 23 Steptoe Attorneys
- Steptoe Receives 80 Individual Mentions in Best Lawyers 2014
- Southwest Super Lawyers Recognizes 14 Steptoe Lawyers
- Steptoe Receives 77 Individual Mentions in Best Lawyers 2013
- Steptoe Receives 18 Practice, 57 Individual Mentions in Chambers USA 2012
- Speaker, The Bad Faith Trial: Winning Approaches to Implement Into Your Trial Strategies, February 18, 2010
- Co-author, “Closing the Book on CERCLA Section 107 ‘Joint and Several’ Claims by Liable Parties"1999, 18 Va. Envtl. L.J. 160
- Does the Tenth Amendment Pose Any Judicial Limit on the Commerce Clause After Garcia v. San Antonio Metropolitan Transit Authority and South Carolina v. Baker?1989, B.Y.U. L. Rev. 231