Areas of Practice
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1991, Contributing Editor, Michigan Law Review, Winner of the 1991 Hessel Yntema Award
- Yale University, B.A., cum laude, 1987
- Hon. Paul V. Niemeyer, US Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1991-1992
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 6264
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Kenneth P. Ewing is a partner in Steptoe's Washington office, where he is a member of the Antitrust & Competition Group.
Mr. Ewing advises clients in a variety of industries regarding the antitrust laws of the United States and the European Union. He handles defenses of US and multi-jurisdictional cartel investigations and civil damages suits, as well as civil investigations by the Federal Trade Commission and US Department of Justice's Antitrust Division, and administrative litigation regarding mergers in regulated industries. He regularly advises US and foreign clients about the antitrust implications of proposed mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, and strategic alliances, often working closely with colleagues in Steptoe’s Brussels office. Mr. Ewing also counsels clients about other kinds of business initiatives such as long-term, exclusive or reciprocal supply or distribution arrangements, responses to industry de-regulation, and antitrust compliance programs. Mr. Ewing’s practice has given him substantial experience in industries as diverse as air transportation, pharmaceuticals, various industrial chemicals, travel reservation systems, ocean cruises, express package delivery services, gas and oil pipelines, medical equipment, construction equipment, telecommunications, and electricity.
Mr. Ewing is active in the Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association, having held leadership positions on its Books & Treatises Committee, the editorial board for the flagship treatise Antitrust Law Developments (6th), and the Mergers & Acquisitions Committee. Mr. Ewing also serves on the Board of Directors of the Tahirih Justice Center and as Assistant Secretary of the Washington Institute of Foreign Affairs. Mr. Ewing is a member of the International Competition Network's group of US advisors.
Prior to joining Steptoe, Mr. Ewing worked as a Visiting Foreign Associate in the Düsseldorf office of the German law firm Bruckhaus Westrick Stegemann, where he helped advise German, French and US clients about German and European Union antitrust laws regarding joint ventures, mergers and licensing agreements. He is fluent in German and reads French.
Public International Law
Mr. Ewing has helped prepare opinion letters regarding the issues of national sovereignty and statehood under international law. He has also assisted in preparing an analysis for the American Bar Association of the structure and powers of the International Tribunal to Adjudicate War Crimes in the former Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.
During 1996, Mr. Ewing worked as a Law Fellow in the Washington, DC office of IUCN-The World Conservation Union, advising on the effects of international trade rules on international and national environmental conservation policies, with particular emphasis on recent developments in the World Trade Organization.
- In re Lithium Ion Batteries Antitrust Litigation, 4:13-md-02420-YGR (N.D. Cal.): Counsel for LG Chem, Ltd.
- Matthew Edwards et al. v. National Milk Producers Federation et al., 4:11-cv-04766 (N.D. Cal.): Counsel to National Milk Producers Federation
- AFMS LLC v. United Parcel Service Co. and FedEx Corp., 2:10-cv-05830-JGB-AJW (C.D. Cal.): Counsel for FedEx Corp.
- Mitsubishi Heavy Indus. v. General Electric Co., No. 5:10-cv-05087 (W.D. Ark.): Counsel to Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
- In re Southeastern Milk Antitrust Litigation, MDL-1899 (E.D. Tenn.): Counsel to Maryland & Virginia Milk Producers Association, Inc.
- In re Air Cargo Shipping Services Antitrust Litigation, MDL-1775 (E.D.N.Y.): Counsel to Japan Airlines
- In re Transpacific Passenger Air Transportation Antitrust Litigation, MDL-1912 (N.D. Cal.): Counsel to Japan Airlines
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2015 for Antitrust Law
- Ranked in Chambers USA 2009 - 2014: America’s Leading Business Lawyers; Antitrust (District of Columbia)
- Recommended by Legal 500 US 2009 for Antitrust
- Listed in Who's Who Legal for Competition Law in 2013 and several prior years
- Listed in Washington, DC Super Lawyers 2007, 2013 - 2015 for Antitrust Litigation
- Euromoney's Expert Guide to the World's Leading Competition and Antitrust Lawyers/Economists (2010)
Select News & Events
- Global Competition Review Recommends Steptoe in DC Antitrust Survey
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers Recognizes 54 Steptoe Attorneys
- A Live Seminar in Tokyo: Practical Strategies to Defend Cartel Investigations, April 8, 2015, (A Steptoe and Iwata Godo co-sponsored Event)
- “Protecting Your Client in an Era of Global Enforcement,” 2015 Asia Forum - Tokyo, March 3, 2015
- New Developments on Antitrust Investigations and Class Actions, Korea International Trade Association Seminar, November 7, 2014
- Steptoe Receives 77 Individual Mentions in Best Lawyers 2015
- Steptoe Receives 20 Practice, 59 Individual Mentions in Chambers USA 2014
- “Cartels and Abuse of Dominance: Leniency, Damages and Settlements in Emerging Markets,” 2014 Lex Mundi Summit, May 16, 2014
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers Recognizes 59 Steptoe Attorneys
- Steptoe Receives 19 Practice, 56 Individual Mentions in Chambers USA 2013
- Managing Global Cartel Investigations and Litigation: How to Manage the Costs and Risks to Your Company, April 25, 2013, (A Steptoe-sponsored Event)
- Global Antitrust and Anti-Corruption (FCPA, Anti-bribery Act) Enforcement Trends in the New Administration and Effective Response Strategies, January 18, 2013, (A Steptoe-Sponsored Event)
- Antitrust Section, American Bar Association
- International Law and Practice, American Bar Association
- US Advisor, International Competition Network
- Maryland Bar Association