Areas of Practice
- International Arbitration
- International Trade & Investment
- International Trade Litigation
- International Trade Policy & Negotiations
- Public International Law
- WTO Dispute Settlement
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1986, Order of the Coif
- University of Michigan, B.S., 1979
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- US Court of International Trade
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US District Court for the District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 6292
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Mark A. Moran is a partner in Steptoe’s Washington office where he practices in the firm's International Trade & Investment Group. His practice centers on representing governments and private parties in international trade and investment litigation and arbitration as well as in bilateral and multilateral treaty negotiations.
For nearly 30 years, Mr. Moran has successfully litigated numerous high-profile trade cases before the WTO, binational panels convened under the US-Canada FTA and NAFTA, and US courts and federal agencies. His cases frequently involve issues of first impression under the WTO Agreements and US trade law, and their resolution has established important and often-cited legal precedents.
Mr. Moran has an active WTO practice, having advised governments and private sector clients in more than 20 WTO dispute resolution proceedings. He has assisted his clients in all phases of WTO dispute settlement, and routinely argues before WTO panels and the Appellate Body.
Mr. Moran is well known for his longstanding role as lead counsel to the Canadian industry in the US-Canada dispute over trade in softwood lumber, the most commercially significant and complex case ever filed under the US trade laws. Between 2001 and 2006, he was the architect of a multi-forum litigation strategy that led to repeated victories against the United States and paved the way for a settlement that returned over $4 billion in duties to his clients.
Mr. Moran also has advised and represented clients in connection with arbitrations under the leading institution rules, including the International Chamber of Commerce, the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce, the American Arbitration Association, the London Court of International Arbitration, and ICSID. He was part of the team that handled one of the largest and most complex cases ever litigated before the US-Iran Claims Tribunal, where the firm prosecuted claims in excess of $1 billion on behalf of a consortium of US oil companies.
Mr. Moran also has advised both governments and commercial parties on investor-state dispute settlement issues arising under Bilateral Investment Treaties and NAFTA Chapter 11.
- Band 1, Chambers USA, International Trade: Trade Remedies & Trade Policy (Nationwide), 2007 - 2016
- Band 1, Chambers Global, International Trade: Trade Remedies & Trade Policy (US), 2007 - 2016
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers, International, 2009-2012, 2014 - 2016
- "Most Highly Regarded" in Who's Who Legal for Trade & Customs, 2013
- Leading Lawyer, Legal 500 US: Litigation: International Trade, 2014
- The Legal 500 US, Litigation: International Trade, 2009 - 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America, International Trade and Finance Law, 2008 - 2017
- Washingtonian magazine, "Top Lawyer," International Trade, 2011, 2013
- Who's Who Legal, Trade & Customs, 2007 - 2013
- Leading Lawyer in International Trade, The Legal Times, 2007
- Euromoney's Expert Guide to the World's Leading International Trade Lawyers (2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015)
- Euromoney's Expert Guide to the Best of the Best (2008, 2010, 2012)
- Euromoney's Expert Guide to the Best of the Best USA (2008, 2010, 2012)
Select News & Events
- Steptoe Receives 14 Practice, 30 Individual Mentions in Chambers Global 2017
- Steptoe Receives 80 Individual Mentions in Best Lawyers 2017
- Steptoe Receives 26 Practice, 120 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 US 2016
- Steptoe Receives 20 Practice, 63 Individual Mentions in Chambers USA 2016
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers Recognizes 55 Steptoe Attorneys
- Steptoe Receives 13 Practice, 31 Individual Mentions in Chambers Global 2016