Areas of Practice
- Blockchain and Digital Currency
- Telecom, Internet & Media
- E-Commerce / Internet
- Telecommunications Law
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & National Security
- Government Affairs & Public Policy
- American Indian Affairs
- Copyright and Entertainment
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., with honors, 1993
- Wheaton College, B.A., English Literature, 1989
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 8032
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Markham Erickson represents clients on all aspects of telecommunications, media, and Internet law. He regularly represents clients in regulatory complaints, investigations, rulemakings, and proposed mergers before the Federal Communication Commission and the Department of Justice. He also represents clients before the United States Copyright Office and the Patent and Trademark Office. He has challenged and defended regulatory actions before federal courts.
Ranked in Chambers USA in Telecom, Broadcast & Satellite – District of Columbia, Mr. Erickson has also been recognized by The Legal 500, which describes him as a “substantive legal expert with great connections and understanding of the regulatory process, as well as a command of the political, policy and public relations aspects of regulatory work.” He has been appointed by the White House to represent the United States before the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development on Internet speech and regulatory matters.
Mr. Erickson is the co-chair of the premier annual seminar on the legal and regulatory developments in the broadband and cable industries. He served as the first general counsel to the Internet Association, where he advised the association’s president and CEO, as well as its members, on industry-impacting regulatory and legislative initiatives. In addition, he has represented Internet companies and Internet service providers since the beginning of the commercial Internet.
Mr. Erickson is Steptoe's Chief Diversity Partner, responsible for the firm's initiatives surrounding diversity and inclusion. He also is co-chair of the firm’s Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) Committee and a member of its Technology Committee.
- Serves as the Internet Association's counsel on telecommunications, trade, copyright, and intermediary liability matters before the Federal Communications Commission, Department of Justice, Copyright Office, Patent and Trademark Office, and federal courts. The Internet Association is the primary trade group for leading Internet companies.
- Represents Netflix, Inc., on a wide-range of regulatory matters before the Federal Communications Commission, including in the open Internet docket, video and broadband matters, and accessibility issues. Previously represented Netflix in successfully opposing the proposed merger between Comcast and Time Warner Cable.
- Represents INCOMPAS, the leading industry association representing competitive communications service providers and their supplier partners, before the Federal Communications Commission in the open Internet docket and dockets relating to broadband infrastructure issues.
- Represents Level 3, Netflix, and INCOMPAS before the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in intervening to support the FCC’s Open Internet Rule and Order.
- Represented Bloomberg Television before the Federal Communications Commission in a major cable merger proceeding and secured a first-ever channel “neighborhooding” condition, which required the cable provider to place Bloomberg TV in certain news neighborhoods on the provider’s channel lineups. Represented a coalition of leading Internet companies before the office of the United States Trade Representative in successfully promoting a first-ever modification to the trade template for copyright.
- Represented a coalition of leading Internet companies in drafting amicus briefs in Cartoon Network, LP v. CSC Holdings, Inc., 536 F.3d 121 (2d Cir. 2008) (Cablevision DVR case).
- Represented a coalition of leading Internet companies in drafting an amicus brief in MGM v. Grokster, 380 F.3d 1154 (9th Cir. 2004).
- Represented a coalition of federally recognized Indian tribes before the Bureau of Indian Affairs to successfully advocate for rules limiting “reservation shopping” for gaming purposes.
- Represented a federally recognized Indian tribe before the United Nations in its deliberation of the Draft Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
- Chambers USA, Telecom, Broadcast & Satellite (DC), 2016
- Legal 500 US, Media, Technology & Telecoms: Telecoms & Broadcast – Regulatory; Media, Technology & Telecoms: Telecoms & Broadcast – Transactional, 2015-2016
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers, Communications, 2017
- Appointed, “Global Leader Mentor,” by the Republic of Korea, May 2014
Select News & Events
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers Recognizes 65 Steptoe Attorneys
- Broadband and Cable Industry Law 2017, PLI, April 3, 2017
- "Full Stream Ahead Focus: What are the Challenges and Opportunities for Digital Media in the New Administration?" INCOMPAS Policy Summit, February 15, 2017
- Open Internet Program, February 7, 2017, A Steptoe-sponsored event
- Rethinking The Future of Communications Policy, January 23, 2017, 13th Annual State of the Net Conference
- Law360 Quotes Markham Erickson on the US Web Transition
- Law360 Quotes Markham Erickson on 9th Circuit Ruling in FTC v. AT&T
- FCBA Features Markham Erickson in Communications Q&A
- Steptoe Receives 26 Practice, 120 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 US 2016
- Steptoe’s Pantelis Michalopoulos Applauds DC Circuit’s Open Internet Ruling
- Broadband and Cable Industry Law 2016, PLI, April 11, 2016
- “The Disruptors, Innovators and Investors Panel,” INCOMPASS Policy Summit, February 10, 2016
- Co-chair, Broadband and Cable Industry Law 2016, Practising Law Institute, New York, NY
- American Bar Association
- Section on Administrative Law and Regulatory Policy
- Section on Intellectual Property Law
- Chair of the Intellectual Property and Legislation Committee
- Federal Communications Bar Association