Areas of Practice
- Telecom, Internet & Media
- Telecommunications Law
- Cybersecurity, Privacy & National Security
- Government Affairs & Public Policy
- American Indian Affairs
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., with honors, 1993
- Wheaton College, B.A., English Literature, 1989
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 8032
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Markham Erickson has played an integral role over the last 20 years in drafting, negotiating, and working with most of the federal laws that govern communications, technology, and the use of the Internet. He represents communications, media, technology, and Internet companies in a broad range of matters, including regulatory, litigation, transactional, and policy before the federal government, state governments, and international deliberative organizations.
Mr. Erickson regularly represents clients in regulatory complaints, investigations, rulemakings, and proposed mergers. He has challenged and defended regulatory actions before federal courts.
The Legal 500 US described Mr. Erickson as a “substantive legal expert with great connections and understanding of the regulatory process, as well as a command of the political, policy and public relations aspects of regulatory work.”
Mr. Erickson is Steptoe's Chief Diversity Partner, responsible for the firm's initiatives surrounding diversity and inclusion. He also is co-chair of the firm’s Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) Committee and a member of its Technology Committee.
In addition, Mr. Erickson has been appointed a “Global Leader Mentor” by the Minister of Science for the Republic of Korea and provides regulatory counsel to Korean startups seeking to enter the US marketplace.
- Represents the Internet Association as its General Counsel. The Internet Association is the primary trade group for leading Internet companies.
- Represents Netflix, Inc., the leading online video distributor, on a wide-range of regulatory matters before the Federal Communications Commission, including in the open Internet docket and other broadband, video, and Internet-related dockets.
- Represents COMPTEL, the leading industry association representing competitive communications service providers and their supplier partners, before the Federal Communications Commission in the open Internet docket and dockets relating to broadband infrastructure issues.
- Represents Bloomberg L.P. on matters before the Federal Communications Commission and other regulatory agencies.
- Represents Google on Internet-related policy matters before federal and state agencies.
- Represents Level 3, Netflix, and COMPTEL before the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in intervening to support the FCC’s Open Internet Rule and Order.
- Represented Netflix, COMPTEL, and the Writers Guild of America, West, each, as their regulatory counsel in analyzing and successfully opposing the proposed merger between Comcast and Time Warner Cable.
- Appointed by the White House to represent the United States Internet industry before the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development on Internet regulatory matters.
- Represented Bloomberg Television before the Federal Communications Commission in a major cable merger proceeding and secured a first-ever channel “neighborhooding” condition, which required the cable provider to place Bloomberg TV in certain news neighborhoods on the provider’s channel lineups.
- Represented a leading voice-over-the-Internet (VoIP) service provider before US and international regulatory bodies.
- Represented a leading Internet-gaming company on regulatory and policy matters before the FCC, DOJ, and White House.
- Represented a coalition of leading Internet companies before the office of the United States Trade Representative in successfully promoting a first-ever modification to the trade template for copyright.
- Represented Bloomberg Television before the FCC in filing a formal complaint regarding a dispute with a major cable provider, which resulted in a successful outcome for the client.
- Represented a coalition of leading Internet companies in drafting amicus briefs in Cartoon Network, LP v. CSC Holdings, Inc., 536 F.3d 121 (2d Cir. 2008) (Cablevision DVR case).
- Represented a coalition of leading Internet companies in drafting an amicus brief in MGM v. Grokster, 380 F.3d 1154 (9th Cir. 2004).
- Represented federally recognized Indian tribes before the Department of the Interior on energy and gaming matters.
- Represented a coalition of federally recognized Indian tribes before the Bureau of Indian Affairs to successfully advocate for rules limiting “reservation shopping” for gaming purposes.
- Represented a federally recognized Indian tribe before the United Nations in its deliberation of the Draft Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
- Appointed, “Global Leader Mentor,” by the Republic of Korea, May 2014
- Legal 500 US, Media, Technology & Telecoms: Telecoms & Broadcast – Regulatory; Media, Technology & Telecoms: Telecoms & Broadcast - Transactional
Select News & Events
- “Net Neutrality: Past, Present, and Future,” NAPABA, November 7, 2015
- COMPTEL PLUS Fall 2015 Business Expo, October 20, 2015
- “Entertainment & Sports Law Annual Meeting,” ABA, October 9, 2015
- “Workshop on the Economic and Social Benefits of an Open Internet ,” OECD, September 30, 2015
- “Voluntary Initiatives Addressing Copyright Infringement in the Online Environment,” USPTO, September 17, 2015
- Steptoe’s Telecom Team Showcased in Law360 Article on Net Neutrality
- Steptoe Receives 26 Practice, 103 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 US 2015
- Speaker, “Geo-Location Issues for Mobile Gaming,” LSI, May 5, 2015
- The National Law Journal Covers Steptoe’s Advocacy on Net Neutrality
- Steptoe Receives 18 Practice, 75 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 US 2014
- Law360 Quotes Markham Erickson on Net Neutrality Rules
- Law360 Quotes Markham Erickson on Net Neutrality
- Co-chair, Broadband and Cable Industry Law 2016, Practising Law Institute, New York, NY
- American Bar Association
- Section on Administrative Law and Regulatory Policy
- Section on Intellectual Property Law
- Chair of the Intellectual Property and Legislation Committee
- Federal Communications Bar Association