Areas of Practice
- Telecom, Internet & Media
- Telecommunications Law
- Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Government Affairs & Public Policy
- American Indian Affairs
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., with honors, 1993
- Wheaton College, B.A., English Literature, 1989
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
Markham Cho Erickson
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 8032
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Markham Cho Erickson, a partner in Steptoe’s Washington office, has been involved in the practice of telecommunications and new media law for more than two decades, during which time he has played an integral role in the drafting and negotiating of many of the federal laws that govern communications, technology, and the use of the Internet. He focuses on complex legal and policy matters before the federal government, state governments, and international deliberative organizations. His clients include leading television programmers, Internet companies, online video distributors, non-profit organizations, start-up technology companies, and Indian tribes.
Mr. Erickson frequently advocates on behalf of his clients before the Federal Communications Commission, the Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, and the US Congress. He regularly represents clients in the prosecution and defense of regulatory complaints, rulemakings, and reviews of mergers. He has challenged and defended agency actions before federal appellate courts.
Mr. Erickson also serves as general counsel to The Internet Association, a trade association that represents 24 of the world’s leading Internet companies, including Google, Amazon.com, Facebook, eBay, Expedia, and Salesforce. In this capacity, he counsels the organization on the leading legal and policy issues relating to the Internet sector and represents the organization in regulatory proceedings and before federal courts.
In addition, Mr. Erickson served as lead counsel to a coalition of Internet and technology firms that helped conceive and develop network neutrality regulations at the Federal Communications Commission, as well as in subsequent litigation before the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
Mr. Erickson has been quoted extensively and appeared in the media on various laws and issues relating to Internet and communication platforms. He recently authored an article for The Federal Lawyer titled “Carcieri v. Salazar: The Supreme Court’s Definition of ‘Now’ Creates Uncertainty for Indian Tribes.” In addition, Mr. Erickson has taught classes on Internet-related issues at Stanford Law School and Georgetown University Law Center.
In May 2014, the Korean Minister of Science, ICT, and Future Planning appointed Mr. Erickson to serve as a legal mentor to the Korea Innovation Center, where he provides counsel to Korean start-ups and small-and-medium sized-businesses entering the US marketplace in the technology sector.
- “Global Leader Mentor” – Korea Innovation Center
- Legal 500 US, Media, Technology & Telecoms: Telecoms & Broadcast – Regulatory; Media, Technology & Telecoms: Telecoms & Broadcast - Transactional
Select News & Events
- Steptoe Receives 18 Practice, 75 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 US 2014
- Law360 Quotes Markham Erickson on Net Neutrality Rules
- "Current Issues Arising Under the Existing Federal Regulatory Structure for Online Gambling and the Unique Provisions for Tribal Operations", April 3, 2014, Law Seminars International
- Law360 Quotes Markham Erickson on Net Neutrality
- The False Rumors of Net Neutrality’s Death; The Aftermath of Verizon v. FCC, February 6, 2014, (A Steptoe-sponsored Event)
- "How Do New Video Entrants Fit Into Today’s Regulatory Scheme?", January 27, 2014, PLI
- Steptoe Represents Internet Industry in 'Historic' Net Neutrality Case
- “DC Circuit Decision on FCC Open Internet Rules: Net Neutrality Win or Loss?”, January 17, 2014, Congressional Internet Caucus Advisory Committee
- Markham Erickson Testifies at the US Patent and Trademark Office and National Telecommunications and Information Administration Public Meeting, December 12, 2013
- “Media Transformation: A Fresh Look At What Is ‘Media’ From A Technology, Policy, Regulatory And Competition Stance", December 3, 2013, International Institute of Communications’ 2013 Telecommunications and Media Forum
- The Washington Post Interviews Markham Erickson on Internet Policy in 2013
- Steptoe Expands Telecom, Internet & Media Practice with Addition of Markham Erickson
- American Bar Association
- Section on Administrative Law and Regulatory Policy
- Section on Intellectual Property Law
- Chair of the Intellectual Property and Legislation Committee
- Federal Communications Bar Association