Areas of Practice
- Appellate & Supreme Court
- IP Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Patent Litigation
- Patent: Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology
- Patent: Electronics & Software
- Patent Counseling, Clearance, & Prosecution
- Professional Liability
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1993
- The John Marshall Law School, LL.M., with honors, Intellectual Property, 1997
- Rice University, B.S., Electrical Engineering, 1990
- Rice University, B.A., Fine Arts, 1990
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, Washington, DC, Hon. Paul R. Michel, Circuit Judge, 1997 - 1998
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- US District Court, District of Colorado
- US District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- US Patent and Trademark Office
Meredith Martin Addy
Chicago IL 60603
TEL: +1 312 577 1251
FAX: +1 312 577 1370
Meredith Martin Addy is managing partner of Steptoe’s Chicago office and a leading intellectual property litigator with particular experience and success before the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. She regularly handles cases involving complex technological matters for some of the nation's highest-profile companies in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, software, and high-tech industries.
To date, Ms. Addy has served as first or second chair trial counsel in nearly 30 federal district court cases. She also has handled close to 40 appeals to the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. She has been lead counsel or argued 25 of them.
Clients and jurists recognize Ms. Addy’s ability to clearly present legal issues intertwined with complex technology. Former Chief Judge Paul Michel, US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, remarked: “[w]hen you ask her a difficult question, as we often do in oral arguments, she fires right back with a very crisp, clear answer that is totally responsive to the question. And, it's factual and accurate and fair. The contrast with other attorneys is stark. Most of the other attorneys duck the questions. She answers them head-on." One Fortune 100 client observed, “She has great common sense, and she never loses sight of the clients’ interests and goals.”
Ms. Addy is a member of the Federal Circuit's Advisory Council and has testified on the State of the Federal Circuit and Patent Appeals before a Subcommittee of Congress. In just the past two years, Ms. Addy has tried 6 cases in Federal district courts involving technology as diverse as pharmaceuticals to software. Chambers USA reports that she is a "key figure, who knows the courts inside and out."
Ms. Addy is the first president and a founder of the IP-focused Richard Linn American Inn of Court and is former chair of the Amicus Committee for the American Intellectual Property Law Association. She is active with veterans' organizations preparing cases at the Federal Circuit and at the Supreme Court of the United States. Ms. Addy also was an editor of Claim Construction in the Federal Circuit, published by West LegalWorks.
"Mimi Martin Addy - Driven to Protect Her Clients' IP Assets," Leading Lawyers Magazine Women's Edition, November 2010
Patented Path to Success: The Quick Rise of Meredith Addy," Illinois Super Lawyers, February 2009, William Wagner
"Alumna Spotlight: Mimi Addy," Rice University George R. Brown School of Engineering, 2007
"Advocating for Our Members & All Veterans," Paralyzed Veterans of America, Annual Report, 2004
Ms. Addy has handled over 40 appeals to the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. She has been lead counsel or argued 20 of them.
- Innovative Biometric Technologies v. Toshiba (Fed. Cir. 2013) – Lead counsel for appellant IBT in appeal of district court decision on attorney fees. Pending.
- Magna Mirrors v. 3M (Fed. Cir. 2013) – Lead counsel for appellant Magna Mirrors in appeal of a district court decision on equitable estoppel. Pending.
- Intellect Wireless v. HTC (Fed. Cir. 2012) – Lead counsel for appellant Intellect Wireless in appeal of a district court decision on inequitable conduct. Pending.
- AstraZeneca v. Sandoz, et al. (Fed. Cir. 2013) – Lead counsel for appellee Sandoz in appeal of a trial court determination that AstraZeneca’s patents on Pulmecort Respules®, generic budesonide, are either invalid or not infringed. Pending.
- Bone Care International v. Roxane Laboratories (Fed. Cir. 2012) – Lead counsel for appellant Sandoz Inc. in an appeal of a district court judgment finding infringement of a proposed doxercalciferol product and holding validity of patents. Pending.
- Allergan, Inc. v. Barr Laboratories, et al. (Fed. Cir., 2012) – Lead counsel for appellant Sandoz Inc. in an appeal of a district court judgment finding infringement of patents relating to bimatoprost, sold by Allergan as Lumigan®, used to treat glaucoma or reduce intraocular pressure (“IOP”). Pending.
- Biogen Idec Inc. et al. v. GlaxoSmithKline, et al. (Fed. Cir. 2012) – Counsel for appellants Biogen and Genentech on appeal from district court decision of noninfringement by GSK's antibody product Arzerra™, used in the treatment of chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Pending.
- Sanofi-Aventis Deutschland GmbH v. Genentech, Inc. and Biogen Idec Inc. (Fed. Cir. 2012) – Counsel for appellee Genentech on successful appeal from district court decision of noninfringement by Genentech’s Rituxan® and Avastin®.
- McKesson Techs. v. Epic Sys. (Fed. Cir. 2011), and Akamai Techs. v. Limelight Networks (Fed. Cir. 2011) (en banc) - Lead counsel for Aristocrat as amicus curiae in en banc proceedings of the Federal Circuit doctrine of joint infringement in the indirect infringement context.
- Lexion Med. v. Northgate Techs. (Fed. Cir. 2011) - Lead counsel for appellant Northgate in appeal of a summary judgment decision on a patent concerning medical device for laparoscopic surgery.
- Abraxis Bioscience v. Navinta (Fed. Cir. 2011) - Lead counsel for appellant Navinta on successful appeal of a district court decision on patents relating to Naropin® and generic Ropivacaine Hydrochloride.
- Aristocrat Techs. Australia v. International Gaming Techs. (Fed. Cir. 2010) - Lead counsel on appeal of summary judgment determination of noninfringement based on the doctrine of joint infringement. Pending.
- Star Scientific v. R.J. Reynolds Tobacco (Fed. Cir. 2011) - Argued appeal of a favorable jury verdict of patent non-infringement and invalidity in favor of client RJR. Federal Circuit upheld noninfringement ruling in favor of R.J. Reynolds.
- Bilski v. Kappos (U.S.S.Ct. 2010) - Lead counsel for Accenture as amicus curiae supporting reversal of the Federal Circuit's holding that the machine or transformation test is the exclusive test for patent eligibility of method patents.
- Abbott Labs v. Sandoz Inc. (Fed. Cir. 2009) (partially en banc), cert. denied (2010) - Lead counsel for appellee Sandoz on successful appeal over patents relating to the antibiotic Omnicef® and generic Cefdinir.
- Boss v. Cabilly (Fed. Cir. 2009) - Lead counsel for appellee Genentech on successful appeal from an interference.
- In re Byerly (Fed. Cir. 2009) - Lead counsel for appellant Kimberly-Clark on appeal from the Patent and Trademark Board of Appeals and Interferences.
For a full list of Meredith’s appeals, click here.
District Court Litigation
Ms. Addy has represented technology companies in litigations relating to software, hardware, and business method patents; including technologies such as VOIP, mobile phones, hearing aids, diagnostic equipment, financial products, scanning technology, batteries, and electrical connectors.
She has represented pharmaceutical companies in Hatch-Waxman litigation from filing through trial and appeal relating to a wide range of drug products, including: bimatoprost, budesonide, caspofungin, cefdinir, doxercalciferol, duloxetine, enoxaparin, esomeprazole, galantamine, levoceterizine, metformin, omeprazole, pantoprazole, pregabalin, repaglinide, ropivacaine, sevelamer, venlafaxine and zolpidem.
- Allergan v. Apotex, et al. (M.D.N.C. 2011) – Litigated patents through 2012 trial under Hatch Waxman related to bimatoprost sold by Allergan as Latisse® for hypotrichosis.
- Bone Care Int’l LLC and Genzyme Corp. v. Roxane, et al. (D. Del. 2009) - Litigated patents through 2011 trial under Hatch Waxman related to doxercalciferol sold by Genzyme as Hectorol®.
- Pfizer v. Sandoz Inc. (D.N.J. 2011) - Litigated patents through 2011 trial under Hatch Waxman related to pregabalin sold by Pfizer as Lyrica®. Case settled during trial.
- APP Pharma v. Navinta (D.N.J. 2011) – Litigated patents through preliminary injunction hearing related to Naropin® and generic ropivacaine hydrochloride. Awaiting decision.
- Allergan v. Sandoz Inc. (D. Del. 2011) - Litigated patents through 2011 trial under Hatch Waxman related to bimatoprost sold by Allergan as Lumigan®. Currently on appeal.
- Abbott Labs. v. Sandoz Inc., 486 F. Supp. 2d 767 (N.D. Ill. 2007), aff'd, 566 F.3d 1282 (Fed. Cir.) (partially en banc), cert. denied, 09-335 (2009) – Successfully defended Sandoz against request for temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction by Abbott over patents relating to the antibiotic Omnicef® and generic cefdinir.
For a full list of Meredith’s litigations click here.
Representative Court Appointed Expert/Special Master Engagements
Based on her diverse legal and technical background, Meredith frequently is appointed as special master or court assistant in software and electrical cases.
- Protegrity v. Ingrian Networks, Inc. (D. Con.) – Court appointed technical advisor. In case related to database security, provide technical assistance to the Court to aid in decisions relating to the litigation, including but not limited to, discovery disputes, construction of the patent claims at issue, consideration of dispositive motions, explanation of the technology at issue, explanation of the scope and content of the asserted patents, prior art, procedures before the Patent Office, and explanation of the function and operation accused products.
- Nuance Commn’s, Inc. v. ABBYY Software House, Lexmark, and eCopy, Inc. (N.D. Cal. 2008) - Court appointed Special Master. Prepared Reports and Recommendation ("R&R") on the order of patents, claims and terms to be adjudicated in litigation involving multiple patents related to OCR technology. Prepared R&R’s on Scheduling Orders and Submission of Late Prior Art.
- Urologix, Inc. v. Prostalund AB, 227 F. Supp. 2d 1033 (E.D. Wis. 2002), reconsideration denied, 256 F. Supp. 2d 911 (E.D. Wis. 2003) - Court Appointed Assistant. Prepared patent claim construction recommendations and summary judgment recommendations to the district court in patent litigation concerning a medical device.
- Omega Mfg. Corp. v. Valley Tissue Pkg. (E.D. Wis. 2002) - Appointed Special Master. Conducted hearing on patent claim construction; prepared patent claim construction decision and prepared recommendations adopted by the district court on discovery motions in patent litigation relating to packaging of paper products.
- Microelectronic Modules v. Maxim Integrated Prods. (E.D. Wis. 2001) - Court Appointed Expert. Prepared patent claim construction recommendations and summary judgment recommendations to the district court in patent litigation concerning electrical circuitry.
- Allen-Bradley Co. v. DataLink Techs. (E.D. Wis. filed 1997-2005) - Court Appointed Assistant. Prepared patent claim construction recommendations and summary judgment recommendations to the district court in complex patent litigation involving patents relating to programmable controllers for integrating multiple computer systems.
- HK Systems, Inc. v. Mannesmann Dematic Rapistan Corp. (E.D. Wis. 2000-2002) - Court Appointed Expert Assistant on claim construction issues and summary judgment motions on patents for automatic guided vehicles. Prepared recommendations on claim construction and multiple summary judgment motions.
- Ranked, Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers, Intellectual Property (Illinois), 2006 - 2013
- 2011 Intellectual Property Woman of the Year, Chambers USA, shortlisted
- Listed in Intellectual Asset Management magazine's "IAM Patent 1000 - The World's Leading Patent Practitioners"
- "Highly Recommended" as a top five practitioner in the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (National), 2012-2013
- Ranked as top trial and appellate litigator (Illinois), 2012-2013
- Listed in Intellectual Asset Management magazine's "IAM Patent Litigation 250 - The World's Leading Patent Litigators"
- "Top 20 Federal Circuit Practitioner," 2011
- "Top 15 Illinois Patent Litigator," 2011
- "Leading Patent Litigator," 2011
- Selected as a "Life Science Star" in the inaugural issue of LMG Life Sciences, 2012
- Named in The Best Lawyers in America 2007 - 2014 for Patent Litigation and Patent Law
- Law & Politics' Illinois "Super Lawyers," 2005 - 2012
- "Top 10 Illinois Super Lawyers," 2008
- "Top 50 Women Illinois Super Lawyers," 2005 - 2013
- "Top 100 Illinois Super Lawyers," 2005, 2008 - 2010
- Order of the Cetus and Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society, 2011
- Named in Legal 500, 2007 - 2008
- Named in Law Bulletin's "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch," 2004
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Advisory council, 2005 – Present
- Judicial Conference, Steering Committee, 2006, 2008, 2010
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Board of Directors, 2011 – Present
- Chair, Strategic Planning Committee
- Judicial Nominations Committee, 2013
- Amicus Committee, 2011 - Present
- Co-Chair, Annual Bench & Bar Planning Committee, 2010 – 2011
- Annual Meeting Planning Committee, 2008 – 2009
- Chair, George Hutchinson Writing Competition, 2002 – 2004
- The Sedona Conference® Working Group SeriesSM Patent Litigation Pilot Program
- Steering Committee, 2012
- Patent Local Rules Subcommittee of the Seventh Circuit Pattern Local Rules Advisory Committee, 2012
- IP Jury Instructions Subcommittee of the Seventh Circuit Pattern Jury Instruction Committee, 2006 – 2008
- Richard Linn American Inn of Court
- President, 2006 – 2009
- Executive Board, 2009 – Present
- Linn Inn Alliance Advisory Board, 2009 – 2011
- Past Presidents Council, 2011 - Present
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Chair, Amicus Committee, October 2007 – 2008
- Amicus Committee, 2006 - 2008
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago
- Vice Chair, Litigation: Amicus Subcommittee, 2011 – 2012
- Board of Managers, 2005 – 2007
- Chair, Computer Technology Committee, 2002 – 2004
Select News & Events
- "Best Practices: Litigation in the Federal Circuit and the South Korean Courts," FCBA International Series, October 21, 2013
- "Infringement Based on the Acts of Multiple Parties," PLI Patent Litigation 2013 Seminar, October 10, 2013
- "A View From the Bench," ACI Paragraph IV Disputes Master Symposium, October 3, 2013
- Expert Guides Recognize Steptoe Lawyers as Leading Women in Business Law
- Steptoe Receives 80 Individual Mentions in Best Lawyers 2014
- Steptoe Receives 16 Partner, Four Firm Mentions in IAM Patent 1000
- Steptoe Secures Favorable Decisions for Individual in Patent Suit Against GE
- Law360 Quotes Mimi Addy on Supreme Court Gene Patent Ruling
- Steptoe Receives 19 Practice, 56 Individual Mentions in Chambers USA 2013
- "Inequitable Conduct Developments in the Courts and at the PTO: Ethical Considerations for Paragraph IV Cases," 7th Annual ACI Paragraph IV Disputes, May 8, 2013
- Sedona Conference Patent Litigation, Chicago Conference, Gleacher Center, co-chair, April 18, 2013
- PLI's USPTO Post-Grant Patent Trials 2013, "Appeals to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit," Chicago, IL, March 4, 2013
- "Essays on the Honorable Paul R. Michel," The John Marshall Review of Intellectual Property Law, Vol. 10, Issue 2, Winter 2010-2011, contributed the Forward
- "High Court Jurist - Time for Real-World IP Focus," Law360, May 29, 2009
- "The Patent Law Fun House, What Next?" September-October 2008, Landslide, Co-author with J. Pioli
- "Who is 'OOSITA'?" Patent World, July/August 2006, Co-author with Artem N. Solokov
- "Federal Circuit...'Renegade Court'?" Managing Intellectual Property, Americas IP Focus 2006, co-author with C. Noel Kaman
- "Appellate Strategies Before the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit," Patent Litigation, Negotiation and Settlement, 2006
- "The Pre-Clinical Research Statutory Infringement Exemption: How Far Back is 'Reasonably Related'?" Patent Strategy & Management, an ALM Newsletter, October 2005, Co-author with K. Shannon Mrksich, Ph.D.
- "Is the Federal Circuit Ready to Accept Plenary Authority for Patent Appeals?" John Marshall Law School Review of Intellectual Property Law, Vol. 4, Issue 4, Summer 2005