Areas of Practice
- Government Affairs & Public Policy
- Financial Services
- Commodity Futures Trading Commission
- Emerging Financial Technologies
- University of New Mexico, M.A.
- University of New Mexico, B.A.
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 6206
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Michael V. Dunn, former acting chairman of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), brings nearly four decades of experience working with federal regulators, both in the rule-making process and in compliance and oversight. He advises clients on complex regulatory issues, with a focus on the agriculture, energy, and financial services industries.
Mr. Dunn has held seven presidentially appointed positions involving oversight of federal regulation and policy. Most recently, he served two terms as commissioner of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC). He was elected by his fellow commissioners to serve as acting chairman through early 2010. Mr. Dunn was also chairman and designated federal official of the CFTC’s Agricultural Advisory Committee, which advises the CFTC on agricultural issues surrounding the trading of commodity futures and options.
In addition to his work at CFTC, Mr. Dunn previously held several appointed positions at the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), including under secretary of Agriculture for Marketing and Regulatory Programs, acting under secretary for Rural Economic and Community Development, and administrator of the Farmers Home Administration (FmHA). At the USDA, Mr. Dunn also served as a member of the Commodity Credit Corporation board of directors and chairman of the Rural Telephone Bank board.
Prior to working at USDA, Mr. Dunn served as a member of the board of the Farm Credit Administration, where he was also the Director of the Office of Policy and Analysis. He also served as a member of the professional staff of the Senate Agricultural Committee, specializing in agricultural credit.
Futures Industry Association, Futures Hall of Fame
Select News & Events
- Market Manipulation and Spoofing Policy Forum, Energy Metro Desk, September 9, 2016
- "CTA Rules: Compliance Review in Light of the Recent CFTC Enforcement Action," American Conference Institute, November 17, 2015
- Steptoe Expands Financial Services Practice with Micah Green and Six Colleagues
- "Lessons Learned from Recent Enforcement Actions & Agency Priorities and the Practical Effects of Global Regulation on Market Participants," ACI's 10th National Forum on Energy Trading Compliance & Regulatory Enforcement, November 20, 2014
- "Monday Morning Quarterbacks: A Retrospective View on Public Policy with Former CFTC Commissioners," The Institute for Financial Markets, September 15, 2014
- "Will More Regulation Help Futures Industry Recover?" Fox News Business Markets Rally, July 26, 2012
- Panelist, GlobeOp Insights, March 2012
- Former Member, Iowa Development Commission
- Former Chairman, State of Iowa City Development Board