Areas of Practice
- Harvard Law School, LL.M., 1985
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall), J.D., 1981
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, M.S., Economics, 1978
- Williams College, B.A., 1975
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 8097
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Michael C. Durst is senior counsel in Steptoe's Washington office, where he focuses his practice on tax, particularly international tax and transfer pricing.
Mr. Durst has extensive experience planning and implementing transfer pricing strategies in the financial services sector and other industries. He also has extensive experience defending transfer pricing strategies through audit and appeals, having worked on a large number of matters with both the US government and foreign governments. Mr. Durst served for several years as director of the IRS' Advance Pricing Agreement Program, where he directed a prominent alternative dispute resolution program focused on transfer pricing issues.
Mr. Durst came to Steptoe from PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, where he served as a partner in a senior client service and thought leadership capacity within the firm's international tax practice. He also ensured compliance with standards of practice there. Mr. Durst was also a partner in another Washington law firm, where he concentrated on international tax, transfer pricing, tax, and tax-related controversies.
Mr. Durst is a frequent author and speaker to professional audiences on transfer pricing and other tax subjects. He has also held numerous positions teaching tax at the law school level at Harvard Law School, Notre Dame Law School, Northwestern University Law School, and Georgetown University Law School.
- Legal 500 US, Tax: International Tax, 2014
- Chambers USA, Tax (DC), 2011
- Legal 500 US, Tax Controversy, 2011
- Best Lawyers in America, Tax Law, 2011
- Euromoney's Guide to the World’s Leading Tax Advisers, Top US Tax Lawyers
- Euromoney's Expert Guide to the World's Leading Transfer Pricing Advisers, 2009
- Euromoney's Expert Guide to the Best of the Best, 2006
- Chief Counsel's Award and Assistant Commissioner's Award for Outstanding Contributions to International Tax Administration
Select News & Events
- Steptoe Receives 18 Practice, 75 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 US 2014
- Steptoe Receives 13 Practice, 45 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 United States 2011
- Steptoe Receives 18 Practice, 56 Individual Mentions in Chambers USA 2011
- Chambers USA Honors 18 Steptoe Practices and 41 Attorneys
- Best Lawyers in America Honors 43 Steptoe Attorneys
- 44 Steptoe Lawyers and 19 Practice Areas Named Among Best in the US by Chambers USA 2009