Areas of Practice
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2013, Associate Editor, Fordham Law Review, Fordham Moot Court Board, National Team; Best Oralist, 2011 National Criminal Procedure Tournament; Best Oralist, 63rd Annual National Moot Court Competition’s New York Regional Rounds
- City University of New York, M.A., Social Studies Education, summa cum laude, 2010
- The George Washington University, B.A., Political Science and History, magna cum laude, 2008
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
New York NY 10036
TEL: +1 212 378 7545
FAX: +1 212 506 3950
Michael Keough is an associate in Steptoe’s New York office, where he focuses on complex civil litigation and white-collar criminal defense matters. Mr. Keough has extensive experience litigating complex commercial disputes in both federal and state courts throughout the United States. He also has experience assisting in the representation of executives of major corporations during internal investigations as well as during concurrent criminal and civil proceedings.
Mr. Keough is active in the firm’s pro bono practice. He recently secured asylum for an LGBT client after a contested removal proceeding before the Immigration Court in New York, and has also argued an appeal before New York’s Appellate Division, Second Department.
While in law school, Mr. Keough served as an extern to the Honorable Dora Irizarry of the US District Court for the Eastern District of New York. Prior to law school, Michael served as a Teach For America corps member teaching middle school social studies in the Bronx, New York.
- Representing a high-profile individual client in the successful defense of a suit under the Alien Tort Statute
- Representing a foreign financial institution in breach of contract and fraud suits over the sale of asset-backed securities
- Securing a temporary restraining order to enforce a non-compete clause, and defeating a temporary restraining order/preliminary injunction attempting to prevent the sale of a complex financial asset
Select News & Events
- Associated Press Covers Steptoe’s Success for ‘Quackwatch’ Website
- Media Cover Steptoe’s Federal Court Win for Noted Turkish Scholar
- Steptoe Secures Dismissal of Federal Lawsuit Against Noted Turkish Scholar