Areas of Practice
- University of Dayton School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1998, Associate Editor and Staff Writer, University of Dayton Law Review
- Towson University, B.S., 1994
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Michael J. Navarre
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 8081
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Michael J. Navarre is special counsel in Steptoe's Washington office, where he is a member of the Litigation Department. His practice focuses on government contracts and complex commercial litigation.
Mr. Navarre’s prior cases have included successful multi-million dollar claims against the US government before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals and disputes between prime contractors and their subcontractors. He has also represented clients in bid protests before the Government Accountability Office, the FAA’s Office of Dispute Resolution for Acquisition (ODRA), and the Court of Federal Claims, including a protest of a multi-billion dollar contract award by the Department of Defense. He has also represented institutional and individual clients in numerous administrative actions by federal agencies in matters relating to contract claims, security clearances, personnel actions, and the Freedom of Information Act. He also advises clients regarding compliance with procurement statutes and regulations, including organizational conflicts of interest rules and contingency operations contract specific clauses.
Mr. Navarre has represented clients in complex commercial contract disputes, professional malpractice cases, first-party property insurance claims, and multi-district antitrust cases. Mr. Navarre was also co-counsel for two government contractor employees that sought writs of habeas corpus challenging the US military’s constitutional power to try them by court-martial. Both cases ended with military officials abandoning court-martial efforts shortly after their petitions were filed.
Internal Corporate and Government Investigations
In addition to his litigation experience, Mr. Navarre has represented clients in internal corporate investigations and responding to both state and federal grand jury and civil investigative demands. These cases have included investigations of alleged government contractor personnel misconduct, government corruption, and tax fraud.
Mr. Navarre is also recognized in various aspects of military law and frequently speaks on topics in the area. Prior to joining Steptoe, Mr. Navarre served on active duty in the US Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corps and currently serves as Lieutenant Commander in the Navy Reserve. In his naval career, he served as a prosecutor, the sole attorney-advisor to the Commander of Regional Support Group, Norfolk, Virginia, and as an appellate criminal defense counsel.
- Mr. Navarre co-chairs the ABA Section of Public Contract Law: Battle Space and Contingency Procurements Committee. The committee’s mission includes all areas of federal procurements in the battle space and contingency contracting in the public sector.
- He has taught and assisted in developing CLE presentations on government contracts topics for Federal Publications Seminars, including a fundamentals of government contracting course and a daylong seminar on battlespace and contingency contracting.
Select News & Events
- Compliance Week Quotes Michael Navarre on Human Trafficking Policies
- Federal News Radio Interviews Michael Navarre on Battlespace Contractor Case
- “Intersection of the Proposed Human Trafficking Rule, Compliance, and False Claims,” ABA Section of Public Contract Law, November 21, 2013
- Federal News Radio Interviews Michael Navarre on Feres Doctrine
- “Human Trafficking Regulation in the US Government: One Year Progress Report,” American Society of International Law, October 3, 2013
- Law360 Quotes Michael Navarre on Anti-Trafficking Regulation and Compliance
- PilotOnline.com Quotes Michael Navarre on Military Justice Reform
- Michael Navarre Appears on BBC News to Discuss WikiLeaks Case
- “Protections Against Trafficking In Persons In Federal Contracts,” Federal Acquisition Regulatory Council Meeting, March 5, 2013
- "Why Businesses Traffick and How They Avoid Prosecution," Combating Labor Trafficking Conference, May 1, 2012
- Battlespace and Contingency Contracting, Federal Publications Seminars, October 28, 2011
- "The Future of Contingency Contracting," Boards of Contract Appeals Bar Association Annual Meeting Program, October 26, 2011
- Section of Public Contract Law, American Bar Association
- Board of Advisors, National Institute of Military Justice
- The American Membership of the International Society for Military Law and the Law of War