Areas of Practice
- Employment Advice & Litigation
- ERISA / Employee Benefits / Litigation / Executive Compensation
- Stanford Law School, J.D., 1973
- Harvard University, A.B., Government, cum laude, 1969
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 6219
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Morgan Hodgson is a partner in Steptoe’s Washington office, where she is a member of the Litigation Department. She practices in the areas of employment and employee benefits law.
Ms. Hodgson has more than 30 years of experience representing and advising employers with respect to employment law and employee benefit issues. In litigation, she represents employers both in jury and bench trials, including actions under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, ERISA, and actions alleging state statutory and common law claims. In the employment discrimination and employee benefits areas she has extensive experience with both individual and class claims and has litigated issues involving many forms of claims of discrimination, claims for plan benefits by contingent workers, fiduciary breach claims, and partial plan termination actions. She has also handled litigation involving employment and benefits-related contract claims, alleged unjust dismissal, whistleblower claims, and claims involving use of trade secrets and defamation actions.
Ms. Hodgson is active in federal and state trial and appellate courts throughout the country and has participated in several Supreme Court cases. She is experienced in the use of courtroom technology and the use of litigation support tools for trial preparation, and has chaired Steptoe’s Technology Committee since 1993.
Ms. Hodgson has an active employment law counseling practice and advises clients on such issues as compliance with EEO and affirmative action requirements, force reduction and early retirement programs, unjust dismissal law, employee handbooks and sexual harassment training and prevention programs.
Before joining Steptoe & Johnson LLP, Ms. Hodgson was a trial attorney at the Federal Trade Commission, 1973-75, and Assistant to the Director of Consumer Protection, Federal Trade Commission, 1975-76.
- Legal 500 US, Labor & Employment: ERISA Litigation, 2009-2015
Select News & Events
- Law360 Covers Steptoe’s Win for BP in Long-Running ERISA Suit
- Steptoe Receives 26 Practice, 120 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 US 2016
- Steptoe Receives 26 Practice, 103 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 US 2015
- Steptoe Receives 18 Practice, 75 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 US 2014
- Steptoe Receives 18 Practice, 65 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 US 2013
- Steptoe Receives 17 Practice, 47 Individual Mentions in Legal 500 US 2012
- Annual Employment Law Update, February 17, 2011, (A Steptoe-Sponsored Event)
- Annual Employment Law Update: What In-House Counsel and HR Executives Need to Know, March 2, 2010, (A Steptoe-Sponsored Event)
- Annual Employment Law Update: What In-House Counsel and HR Executives Need to Know, February 10, 2009, D.C. (A Steptoe-sponsored event)
- Annual Employment Law Update: What In-House Counsel and HR Executives Need to Know, March 4, 2008, (A Steptoe-Sponsored Event)