- Avenue Louise 489
- B-1050 Brussels
- TEL: +32 2 626 0522
- FAX: +32 2 626 0510
Areas of Practice
- King's College London, Postgraduate Diploma, UK, EU and US Copyright Law (Distinction), 2015
- University of Cambridge, PhD, 2011
- University of Essex, LL.M., EU Law (Distinction), 1994
- University of Oxford, BA, Jurisprudence, 1978
- Solicitor, England & Wales, 1981
- Solicitor, Ireland, 2016
London, EC2V 7HR
TEL: +44 20 7367 8000
FAX: +44 20 7367 8001
Paul Hughes is European Competition Counsel in Steptoe's London office, where he is a member of the Antitrust & Competition Group. Mr. Hughes’ practice focuses on UK and EU merger control, preparing and advising on merger notifications with the EU Commission and CMA. He frequently advises on competition law aspects of collaborative and co-operative joint ventures, agency distribution, and licensing, and he works with specialist strategy consultants on technology licensing and distribution matters.
Mr. Hughes has a longstanding career in the academic community, and he is currently a Senior Lecturer at the University of Essex.
- Currently advising a listed technology company both on competition law compliance and on a range of Article 102 TFEU issues.
- Has represented energy and utility companies on procurement and merger control matters and has advised on telecoms-related competition law issues.
- Most notable recent successful merger clearances with the EU Commission and OFT were General Dynamics/Alvis and Bae/Alvis and G's Marketing/Norman Olverson.
- Advised on information exchanges in the food sector and represented supermarkets, food producers, and suppliers on grocery inquiry and cartel investigation issues.
- Recently provided training and competition law compliance programs for a national construction company, a US and UK based engineering company, and a number of regional food producers.
Select News & Events
- Antitrust for Insurers and Reinsurers - Staying Clear of Competition Law Pitfalls, February 24, 2016, A Steptoe-sponsored event
- Law360 Quotes Paul Hughes on Deutsche Boerse Merger Appeal
- Law360 Quotes Paul Hughes on EU Antitrust Litigation Directive
- Premier Cercle Competition Summit, December 6, 2013
- “Competition Law in a Commercial Context,” Judicial Institute in Colombo, Sri Lanka, October 4, 2013
- Bloomberg Cites Paul Hughes on KPN-Telefonica German Merger
- Law360 Quotes Paul Hughes on Proposed Rules on EU Antitrust Damages Actions
- Competition Law Risk and Managing Employees in the US, EU, and Canada: Guidelines, Pitfalls, and Challenges, April 24, 2013, (A Steptoe-sponsored Event)
- Law360 Quotes Paul Hughes on EU Private Antitrust Framework
- Law360 Quotes Paul Hughes on ICE's $8B NYSE Bid
- "The Ethics of Internal Investigations: Data and Document Preservation, Preserving Privilege, Data Privacy and Other Complex Employee Issues," Effective Compliance Tools for Cross-Border Regulation, October 15, 2012
2013, Global Competition Review