Areas of Practice
- The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, J.D., 1977, Law Review, 1975-76
- Georgetown University, B.S., cum laude, 1972
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Daryl A. ("Sandy") Chamblee
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 6204
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Sandy Chamblee, a partner in Steptoe's Washington office, is a member of the Litigation Department, practicing in the areas of toxic torts and natural resources. She is also a member of the firm's Settlement Advocacy practice focused on creative early dispute resolution. Ms. Chamblee has over 30 years of experience as a lawyer, senior advisor, and executive in policy analysis and development, conflict resolution, strategic planning, and complex, multiparty litigation in the toxic tort, insurance, energy and natural resources, biotechnology, and healthcare contexts.
Between 1992 and 1995, Ms. Chamblee left private practice to serve in two senior policy positions at the National Institutes of Health, including the Deputy Director for Science Policy and Technology Transfer (Acting), where she oversaw areas including technology transfer, science policy, planning and evaluation, and science education. In addition, between April and October 1997, she chaired the Board of Directors of Columbia Hospital for Women Foundation in Washington, DC, serving as a co-administrator of the hospital.
Ms. Chamblee now concentrates her practice in areas involving complex scientific issues such as the development of the medical, epidemiological, and toxicological aspects of causation, through work with appropriate experts in toxic tort litigation, or oil well drilling techniques and failures resulting in a major oil well explosion.
Ms. Chamblee has testified before Congress and spoken broadly on various biotechnology issues, including collaborative research and product pricing issues. Additionally, she has written on managed care legislation, and most recently on challenges to medical experts in toxic tort litigation.
Ms. Chamblee serves as Steptoe's Chief Diversity Partner, responsible for the firm's initiatives to advance diversity and inclusion in its workplace and beyond.
Select News & Events
- Steptoe Receives MCCA Thomas L. Sager Award for Diversity
- Sandy Chamblee Featured in New Book ‘Learning from Law Firm Leaders’
- Moderator and Panelist, Growing a Crop of Inclusive Leaders Through Development of Core Competencies, Minority Corporate Counsel Association's 13th Annual Creating Pathways to Diversity Conference, September 2012
- MCCA Quotes Sandy Chamblee on Diversity Legislation in Dodd-Frank
- Keynote Speaker at Georgetown University Law Center Black Law Student Association's Minority Youth Law Day, April 2011
- Sandy Chamblee Quoted in Law 360 Article on Steptoe Being Named One of "50 Best Law Firms for Women"
- Sandy Chamblee speaks at HB Litigation Conferences "Women in Law and Business: How to Arrive, Survive and Thrive at the Top"
- Challenging Times Require Self Investment and Group Accountability, Panel on Examining the Diversity Endgame, Charting Your Own Course ("CYOC") Conference
- Product Safety Webinar—Product Recalls: Effectively Managing the Process, January 10, 2008, (A Steptoe-sponsored event)
- "White Men Are Key to Inclusion"November 2010, Diversity Journal, Thoughtleaders
- Defense Research Institute
- Trustee, University of Maryland Baltimore Foundation, Inc., June 2005-present
- Federal City Council,1997-present
- Executive Committee, Federal City Council, 2000-2004
- Board of Governors, District of Columbia Bar, 1985-1989
- Secretary, Board of Governors, District of Columbia Bar, 1985-1986
- Board of Directors, Columbia Hospital for Women Foundation, 1987-1997
- Board of Directors, Columbia Hospital for Women Medical Center, 1987-1997
- Chair, Board of Directors, Columbia Hospital for Women Foundation, April 1997-October 1997
- Chair, Board of Directors, Performance Improvement Committee, Columbia Hospital for Women, 1995-1996