Areas of Practice
- Intellectual Property
- Patent Litigation
- Patent Transactions and Strategic Counseling
- Section 337 / ITC Litigation
- Trade Secrets
- George Washington University Law School, J.D.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.S. Electrical Engineering
Bar & Court Admissions
- US District Court for the Northern District of California
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Patent and Trademark Office
Palo Alto CA 94304
TEL: +1 650 687 9510
FAX: +1 650 687 9484
Sanjeet Dutta is a litigator who handles intellectual property matters in state and federal courts and before the International Trade Commission (ITC). His focus is on patent litigation, patent prosecution, licensing agreements, and IP diligence and audits.
Mr. Dutta has considerable experience in handling matters related to technology in a variety of areas including mobile devices, location based services, payment systems, geothermal energy, processor architecture, semiconductor memories, semiconductor verification/emulation, semiconductor processing and manufacturing, network routing, caching, compiler design, and storage area networks.
Intellectual Property Litigation
- Netlist, Inc. v. Diablo Technologies, Inc., et al. (N.D. Cal.) – Defending Diablo in patent and trade secret litigation related to memory modules.
- Skyhook Wireless, Inc. v. Google Inc. (D. Mass.) – Defending Google in patent litigation concerning 13 patents related to location based services.
- In the Matter of Certain Portable Communications Devices (2012), USITC Inv. No. 337-TA-827 – Represented respondent, Nokia, in patent litigation before the ITC Section 337 concerning four patents asserted against Nokia's Lumia handsets by Digitude, LLC. Digitude filed a motion to terminate the investigation before the close of fact discovery.
- In the Matter of Semiconductor Chips with Minimized Chip Package Size and Products Containing Same (III) (2008), USITC Inv. No. 337-TA-630 – Represented respondents Acer America Corporation, Acer, Inc., Nanya Technology Corporation USA, Nanya Technology Corporation and Powerchip Semiconductor in patent litigation before the ITC Section 337 concerning Tessera's semiconductor packaging technology in the 630 Investigation. After a two-week hearing, his team achieved a finding on no violation by the full commission on all asserted patent claims and a finding of patent exhaustion from the ALJ – a first of its kind decision from the ITC. The matter in now on appeal.
- In the Matter of Semiconductor Chips with Minimized Chip Package Size and Products Containing Same (IV) (2008), USITC Inv. No. 337-TA-649 – Represented respondents Siliconware Precision Industries, Ltd. and Siliconware USA in patent litigation before the ITC Section 337 concerning Tessera's semiconductor packaging technology in the 649 Investigation. Tessera filed a motion to dismiss the investigation near the end of expert discovery.
- Gametek LLC v. Facebook, Inc., et al. (S.D. Cal.) – Represented Funzio in a case involving on-line payment systems.
- Enterasys Networks, Inc. v. Foundry Networks, Inc., et al. (D. Mass.) – Represented Foundry Networks in a case involving six patents and high speed networking switches.
- O2 Micro International Limited v. Monolithic Power Systems, Inc., et al. (E.D. Tex.) – Represented Compal Electronics in a case involving patent and indemnity issues.
- eSilicon v. 2Wire, Inc. (Super. Ct. Santa Clara County)– Represented 2Wire in a case involving Trade Secrets and Breach of Contract issues in Santa Clara County Superior Court.
- Sunrise Telecom Incorporated – Represented Sunrise Telecom Incorporated in various US District Court cases in the Northern District of California, Eastern District of Texas, and the District of Maryland involving patent infringement issues related to hand-held telecommunication system test devices.
- Network Caching Technologies, L.L.C. v. Novell, 67 U.S.P.Q.2d 1034 (N.D. Cal. 2002) – Represented Cacheflow, Inc. (now Bluecoat Systems, Inc.) in a multiple-defendant/multiple-patent infringement case concerning Cacheflow's server and client accelerators. The case settled after Cacheflow obtained favorable rulings on a variety of issues, including interpretations of both the plaintiff's "Rule 11" pre-filing obligations, and the adequacy of the plaintiff's infringement contentions under the unique Patent Local Rules adopted in the Northern District of California.
- Responsible for leading a team that prepared and prosecuted two inter partes reexamination requests for highly litigated patents in the semiconductor chip packaging space.
- Responsible for leading a team that prepared three ex parte reexamination requests for patents involving power controller chips.
- Responsible for leading a team that prepared nine inter partes reexamination requests for highly licensed patents relating to optical transceivers.
- Responsible for leading a team that prepared and prosecuted three inter partes and an ex parte reexamination requests for patents relating to microfluidic patch clamp devices for high throughput assay testing.
- Responsible for leading a team that prepared two ex parte reexamination requests for medical imaging devices.
- Responsible for leading a team that prepared an ex parte reexamination request for biometric thumb print authentication security and access devices.
- Responsible for preparing an inter partes reexamination request relating to a distributed client-based data caching system.
- In an ex parte reexamination proceeding, successfully represented the owner of a highly licensed patent relating to air bearing sliders for disk drives.
- Responsible for leading a team that prepared an ex parte reexamination request for a camera mounting device.
- Patent #6,539,450 - Method and System for Adjusting Isochronous Bandwidths on a Bus
- Patent #6,658,631 - Method and System for Dynamically Generating Resistance, Capacitance, and Delay Table Look-Ups
- Patent #6,681,304 - Method and Device for Providing Hidden Storage in Non-Volatile Memory
- Patent #6,665,657 - Method and System for Cross Browsing of Various Multimedia Data Sources in A Repository
- Patent #6,667,475 - Method and Apparatus for Cleaning an Analytical Instrument While Operating the Analytical Instrument
- Patent #8,091,639 - Geothermal Well Diversion Agent Formed From In Situ Decomposition of Carbonyls at High Temperature
- Patent #8,109,094 - System and Method for Aquifer Geo-Cooling
- Patent #8,162,049 - Injection-Backflow Technique For Measuring Fracture Surface Area Adjacent to A Wellbore
Acquisitions / IP Counseling
- Advised Acer on IP issues relating to the $900 million acquisition of Gateway.
- Advised Textron on IP issues relating to the $1.1 billion acquisition of UIC's unmanned aircraft business.
- Ranked, IAM Patent 1000, Litigation (ITC): California, 2016
Select News & Events
- Steptoe Receives 20 Individual, Six Practice Mentions in IAM Patent 1000
- “Fundamentals of Patent Litigation 2016,” PLI, May 12, 2016
- “Fundamentals of Patent Litigation 2015,” PLI, May 29, 2015
- Speaker, Patent Disputes Forum, December 4, 2014
- Speaker, "Patent Prosecution for Litigators”, May 14, 2014
- State Bar of California
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Silicon Valley
- Ingram Inn of Court
- Judiciary Committee, Santa Clara County Bar
- American Bar Association