Areas of Practice
- Professional Liability
- Consumer Products
- Products Liability, Pharmaceutical & Mass Tort Litigation
- Government Contracts
- Telecom, Internet & Media
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 1979
- Temple University, B.A., 1976
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 8127
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Thomas M. Barba is a partner in Steptoe's Washington office where he represents clients in complex litigation and regulatory matters nationally. Mr. Barba concentrates on disputes where the root cause of suspected design or manufacturing defects are central to resolution of the case. In over two decades of litigation and settlement advocacy, Mr. Barba has helped clients defend class, regulatory, and individual claims involving a wide range of technologies. Recent cases have involved: wind power, mining, composites, wireless telephony, appliances, biological products, and defense weapons systems.
As national trial and coordinating counsel, Mr. Barba has managed multi-disciplinary teams of lawyers and local counsel in all 50 states to handle mass tort, regulatory enforcement proceedings, and products liability litigation. Mr. Barba helped form and manage the firm's Complex Litigation & Discovery Center, which is equipped with the staff, technology, and capacity to handle the most significant and document intensive cases.
Mr. Barba has developed the firm's Consumer Products Safety Commission practice and has first-chaired scores of recalls for major US companies at the CPSC for more than 10 years. He provides advice and counsel to companies faced with challenging decisions on how and when to self-report an alleged product defect.
For over a decade, Mr. Barba also served as Steptoe’s general counsel. He developed broad experience in advising and defending members of the bar in matters involving allegations of professional liability, law partner mobility, legal ethics, and the law of lawyering. He also serves as outside general counsel to the International Republican Institute, a nonprofit human rights organization.
- Awarded, US Department of Justice “Distinguished Service Award."
Select News & Events
- E&E News Covers Steptoe’s Environmental Regs in New Administration Webinar
- Environmental Regulation in the New Administration, December 15, 2016, A Steptoe-sponsored event
- After the Closing: Keeping Deal Secrets a Secret, January 28, 2014, (A Steptoe-sponsored Event)
- Product Safety Webinar—Product Recalls: Effectively Managing the Process, January 10, 2008, (A Steptoe-sponsored event)
- Navigating International Encryption Regulations Webcast, July 18, 2007, (A Steptoe-sponsored event)