Areas of Practice
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall), J.D.; Editor, California Law Review; Order of the Coif; M.P.P.
- Georgetown University, A.B., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- Hon. Chief Judge James R. Browning, US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
Washington DC 20036
TEL: +1 202 429 8058
FAX: +1 202 429 3902
Thomas P. Barletta is a partner in the Washington office of Steptoe, where he is a member of the Litigation Department and Intellectual Property group.
Mr. Barletta concentrates in government procurement law and policy matters. He advises clients on cost allowability and cost accounting, contract pricing, and contract financing issues. Mr. Barletta also represents clients on GSA multiple award schedule contract matters, acquisitions, including due diligence and novations, teaming agreements, government contract intellectual property issues, including technical data and patent rights, facility security clearance issues, and other government contract regulatory and contract compliance issues. He also advises clients on pre-protest issues, preparation of REAs and assessments of potential claims.
Mr. Barletta has substantial experience in government contract related litigation, ADR, and other proceedings, including bid protests, claims, internal investigations, government audits and investigations, suspensions and debarments, and civil False Claims Act and qui tam actions and prime contractor/subcontractor disputes.
Mr. Barletta has also focused on representing public utilities in connection with privatization and energy savings contracting matters, and on government procurement of healthcare related services. More recently, he has advised clients on issues arising under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, including its “Buy American” requirement.
Mr. Barletta is a former member of the Council of the American Bar Association’s Section of Public Contract Law. He was the chair of the Section’s Accounting, Cost and Pricing Committee and a co-chair of the Section’s Working Group on Price-Based Acquisition. He is currently a member of the Section’s Bid Protest Committee and is a past-chair of the Section’s Annual and Quarterly Programs Committee.
Mr. Barletta has written and spoken on numerous topics in the government procurement area, including Price Reduction clause, contract scope and Trade Agreements Act issues under GSA MAS contracts; intellectual property rights under government contracts; access to records; competition, source selection and bid protests; False Claims Act litigation; the cost principles and CAS; contract debt collection; and the attorney-client privilege. He also authored the “Regulatory Report” in the Costs, Pricing & Accounting Report published by Federal Publications from 1988-1998.
Who's Who Legal 2012, Public Procurement
Select News & Events
- Steptoe Updates Government Contractor Supply Chain Toolkit
- Law360 Covers Steptoe’s Success for Humana in DOD Tricare Protests
- Government Contractor Supply Chain Toolkit Webinar, October 20, 2015, (A Steptoe-sponsored event)
- Steptoe Launches Government Contractor Supply Chain Toolkit
- "Procurement Integrity and Supplier Debarment," Transparency International Canada Inc., May 6, 2015
- “False Claims Act Webinar with Steptoe & Johnson,” The Coalition for Government Procurement, October 22, 2014
- FCW Quotes Tom Barletta on Federal Cybersecurity Acquisition Efforts
- “Fundamentals of Ethics and Compliance,” The Coalition for Government Procurement Webinar, February 6, 2014
- Cybersecurity for Government Contractors: Threats, Regulatory Developments, and International Compliance Consequences, January 22, 2014, (A Steptoe-sponsored Event)
- Federal News Radio Interviews Tom Barletta and Paul Hurst on Civil False Claims Act
- Tom Barletta Speaks at a Course on Recent Government Contracting Issues, January 18, 2011