Areas of Practice
- University of Reading, Masters of Research in Law, MRes with Distinction, 2012
- King's College London, Law with Transnational Legal Studies, LLB, 2011, Richard Baxter and Hardy Dillard Awards (Jessup Moot 2009)
London, EC2V 7HR
TEL: +44 20 7367 8095
FAX: +44 20 7367 8001
Thomas Innes, an International Law Associate in Steptoe's London office, focuses on public international law and international arbitration. His work includes advocacy and advice in relation to cases before international courts and tribunals, with a particular focus on acting in investment arbitration disputes between states and foreign investors, including at ICSID.
- Acting for nine investors in respect of an investment dispute with The Republic of Zimbabwe arising from breaches of a bilateral investment treaty. Bernhard von Pezold & Ors v The Republic of Zimbabwe. ICSID arbitration. Clients awarded restitution and US$196 million in damages.
- Acting for investors in respect of an investment dispute with The Republic of Zimbabwe arising from breaches of a bilateral investment treaty. Border Timbers Ltd & Ors v The Republic of Zimbabwe. ICSID arbitration. Clients awarded restitution and US$125 million in damages.
- Acting for an Italian investor in respect of an investment dispute with an East African State arising from alleged breaches of a bilateral investment treaty. UNCITRAL arbitration. Pending.
- Acting for a UK investor in respect of an investment dispute with a Balkan State arising from alleged breaches of a bilateral investment treaty. UNCITRAL arbitration. Ongoing.
- Acted for the Caribbean Regional Fisheries Mechanism in respect of their submissions to the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea. Case No. 21, Request for an advisory opinion submitted by the Sub-Regional Fisheries Commission.
- Engaged by several states to advise on their investment treaty negotiations, including (most recently) negotiations with the European Union.
- A member of the Steptoe team appointed by the Government of the People’s Republic of China to the panel of law firms that will be instructed to defend it in investor-state disputes.
Select News & Events
- The American Lawyer Names Steptoe a Winner of a 2016 Global Legal Award
- GAR Awards Name Steptoe ‘International Arbitration Practice that Impressed’
- Media Cover Steptoe’s Success in ICSID Arbitration Against Zimbabwe
- The Role of Investor-State Arbitral Tribunals in the Development of Terms of Art also Existing in Customary International Law, July 3, 2015
- The Adoption of Terms of Art in Bilateral Investment Treaties and its Consequences, November 14, 2014
- Curing Textual Indeterminacy in International Investment Treaties, August 23, 2014
- British Institute of International and Comparative Law
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group
- Africa International Legal Awareness, Member of the Organising Committee