A Culture. A Commitment. A Way of Life.
Steptoe has long recognized that women in the legal profession confront unique challenges. We respond with formal and informal programs that recognize the hurdles, bridge the gaps, and foster growth.
Steptoe’s women lawyers have been full and active participants in the development of this productive workplace community, and the firm has established a variety of programs to cultivate the unique perspectives of its women lawyers and professionals:
- Professional Development. A number of women partners at Steptoe have held senior positions in the federal government and have served as leaders in the Bar and other associations.
- Flexible Career Paths. Steptoe lawyers come to the firm with a wide range of skills, backgrounds, and personal commitments. We craft individual career paths that enhance and maximize individual and team strengths, in the long run as well as the short term.
- Mentors. Women lawyers at Steptoe benefit from the experience and advice of other women who hold firm-wide leadership positions and manage key client relationships.
- Speeches and Publications. Our lawyers are noted authorities. They are sought-out speakers on a broad range of topics. Each year, they publish articles and papers, both in their fields of practice and on topics relevant to women and the law.
- Comprehensive Benefits: Steptoe has an unwavering commitment to full benefits, flexible working arrangements, and support services for all lawyers.
Steptoe continues to pursue its mission of bringing women professionals together to share experiences and build networking opportunities. This commitment is exemplified through the following:
- Formal and informal mentoring of women across the firm
- Quarterly programming on gender-specific and life-balance issues
- Programs that enhance and develop leadership skills