David O'Sullivan, a former European Union (EU) ambassador to the United States, advises clients on high-profile international trade matters with complex legal issues, policy dimensions, and political sensitivities. He also advises companies on the formulation and application of EU trade policy and offers clients effective advice on their trade interests in both the EU market and third country markets. In addition to his work on trade policy and advocacy matters, David advises companies on international regulatory and compliance matters.
As EU Ambassador to the United States, David oversaw the EU's bilateral relationship with the United States including political, economic, and commercial affairs.
A long-time and distinguished EU official, David has served in several senior official posts in the European public service. In these roles, he developed a deep understanding of the trade and diplomatic relationships of the EU and its member countries and the full range of transatlantic business relationship issues, including trade policy, cybersecurity, and Brexit, among others.
Before his appointment as ambassador, David helped establish the EU's European External Action Service, one of the largest diplomatic networks with 140 delegations across the globe. For his work with the EEAS, David was awarded the EU Transatlantic Business Award by the American Chamber of Commerce in 2014. Prior to his role with EEAS, David has held several notable, senior positions within the European Commission including director general for trade, secretary general of the European Commission and chief of staff to Commission President Romano Prodi.
- Diploma of High European Studies, College of Europe
- B.A., Trinity College, Dublin
News & Publications
August 10, 2020
July 24, 2020
By: David O'Sullivan
July 3, 2020
By: David O'Sullivan
April 6, 2020
March 25, 2020 (updated April 3, 2020)
February 28, 2020
February 25, 2020
June 30, 2020
February 5, 2020
- Vice President, College Historical Society, Trinity College
- European of the Year (1999)
- Alumnus of the Year, College of Europe (2013)
- EU Transatlantic Business Award from the American Chamber of Commerce (2014)
- Honorary Doctorates: Trinity College, Dublin (2014) and the Dublin Institute of Technology (2005)
- Chief Operating Officer, European External Action Service
- Director General for Trade, European Commission
- Secretary General of the European Commission
- Chief of Staff to Romano Prodi, president of the European Commission