David Roll has more than 35 years of experience in antitrust and administrative law matters. He has successfully defended clients in investigations and enforcement actions brought by the Antitrust Division of the DOJ and the FTC. He provides clients with merger analysis, asset redeployment planning, Hart-Scott-Rodino filing and second request process, and techniques for securing approval of proposed mergers and joint ventures. He also defends clients in litigation and trial of complex treble damage cases. Clients benefit from David’s deep insight serving as former assistant director of the bureau of competition at the FTC, where he was responsible for litigation of approximately one quarter of the Bureau's antitrust cases.
Over years, David has challenged and defended dozens of federal regulations and regulatory actions. These have involved crude oil and refined product pricing, banking, insurance, food and drug, ocean carriage, and consumer credit. In the course of this work, he has litigated in numerous federal agencies, federal district courts, most federal circuit courts, and the US Supreme Court. In a six-week jury trial, David defended the last major class action brought under the federal oil price controls.
David, a former Steptoe chairman, founded the Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation that calls on a global network of top tier commercial law firms to provide pro bono legal services to social entrepreneurs around the world. In 2009, he was named a Purpose Prize Fellow by Civic Ventures and recognized by President Barack Obama.
David is a non-fiction author specializing in the history of the Roosevelt-Truman years. In 2013, Oxford published his second book, The Hopkins Touch: Harry Hopkins and the Forging of the Alliance to Defeat Hitler. As a Fellow of the German Marshall Fund, David is currently under contract with Penguin/Random House to write a new treatment of General George C. Marshall.
- District of Columbia
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1964
- B.A., Amherst College, 1962, cum laude, Economics
News & Publications
The Washington Post
July 16, 2019
By: David L. Roll
June 4, 2019
- Super Lawyers, Washington, DC, Antitrust Litigation (2007, 2013)
- Euromoney’s Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Competition and Antitrust Lawyers (2006, 2008, 2010)
- Assistant Director, Bureau of Competition, Federal Trade Commission, Awards for Distinguished Service
- Federal Trade Commission, Assistant Director, Bureau of Competition (1972-1975)
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section, Chair, Clayton Act Committee (1985-1988) and Vice Chair, Robinson-Patman Act Committee (1984-1985)
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Co-Chair, Energy Committee (1992-1993)