Liz Cassady is a trial-ready commercial litigator. She represents financial institutions and other major companies in a full slate of business-critical litigation. Liz also provides pre-litigation counseling to clients in order to avoid costly disputes.
Liz has successfully defended clients in individual and class actions alleging securities, antitrust, RICO, Commodities Exchange Act, Title VII, and breach of contract claims, as well as claims of fraud and other business torts, including litigation stemming from the financial crisis and multiple litigations related to alleged manipulation of benchmark rates.
Liz also has advised companies and boards of directors in employment‑related matters and workplace culture investigations. In addition, Liz is closely following ESG developments in order to advise clients on how to identify and address ESG risk in their operations and supply chain, and how to respond to requests from regulators concerning ESG-related issues.
Liz is a strong team leader who is particularly skilled at navigating cases through the pre-trial phase, including fact and expert discovery, class certification and summary judgment briefing. Liz’s deep understanding of both substantive and procedural law, combined with her practical experience, allows her to develop targeted litigation strategies for clients, efficiently manage e‑discovery, and reduce costly and unnecessary motion practice.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School, 2009
- B.A., Cornell University, 2006
*Representative matters handled before joining Steptoe.
- Represented Goldman Sachs in closely watched Title VII class action alleging gender discrimination in pay and promotion.
- Represented the Republic of Argentina in litigation brought by minority shareholders alleging breach of contract related to Argentina’s expropriation of 51% of shares of an energy company.
- Represented JP Morgan in securities and bankruptcy litigations arising out of the bankruptcy of Millennium Health, a drug testing company.
- Represented Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group and Australia and New Zealand Banking Group in antitrust class and individual actions related to alleged manipulation of various benchmark interest rates, including Dollar LIBOR, SIBOR, Yen and Euroyen TIBOR, and BBSW.
- Represented Novo Nordisk in Section 337 proceeding before the International Trade Commission (ITC) alleging patent infringement.
- Represented Nomura and First Horizon in litigation brought by the Federal Housing Finance Agency, as conservator of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, concerning RMBS.
- “Judicial Consideration of Lead Plaintiffs' Ex Ante Fee Agreements and Parties' Fee Agreements,” Second Annual Class Action Case Law and Practice Review Conference, November 11, 2021
- "eDiscovery, Social Media, and Ethical Obligations," Women, Influence & Power In Law (WIPL)'s Conference, October 7, 2021