Filiberto Agusti is a prominent commercial and insolvency litigator with a roster of clients that includes the pilots' union in the American Airlines reorganization, celebrity chef José Andrés and ThinkFoodGroup in breach of contract case involving Trump International Hotel in Washington, DC, pipeline giant Enbridge, Inc. in a major fraudulent transfer case, Greenberg Traurig in the Heller Ehrman bankruptcy, and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries in a number of its major disputes throughout the United States. His success in the courtroom handling complex contractual disputes in a wide variety of contexts for both plaintiffs and defendants has been recognized by The National Law Journal, which named him as a "Trailblazer in Litigation" for his career achievements in November 2017.
Among other credits, he is recognized in the United States by The Guide to the World's Leading Insolvency & Restructuring Lawyers, and listed in DC Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers for his litigation work. In fraudulent conveyance actions, he has obtained attachments in excess of $350 million.
In addition to his trial work, Fil often argues appeals from lower courts and has factored in significant decisions. His recent appellate victories include Ogle v. Fidelity & Deposit Co., (2d Cir.) (allowing creditors’ contractual claims for post-petition fees in collection of debts, reversing SDNY precedent) and In re Nashville Senior Living, LLC, (6th Cir.) (applying mootness doctrine for first time to sale of realty interests of debtors’ “tenants-in-common”).
Fil is a frequent speaker and has authored articles for the Harvard Law Review, International Finance & Treasury, Natural Gas, and other publications. He is co-author of International Business Law and Its Environment, an international business transactions textbook, now in its tenth edition, used in more than 100 colleges and universities around the world. With native fluency in both Spanish and English, Fil is a frequent on-camera commentator on legal issues for Univisión Television Group, Telemundo, and CNN en Español.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Hon. William H. Timbers, Jr., US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1977-1978
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1977, Senior Editor, Harvard Law Review
- A.B., University of Illinois, 1974, Bronze Tablet Scholar (first in graduating class)
News & Publications
August 15, 2018
May 30, 2018
April 23, 2018
November 2, 2017
August 15, 2017
April 24, 2017
March 9, 2017
June 4, 2015
- National Law Journal, "Trailblazers in Litigation"
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation: Bankruptcy
- Super Lawyers, Washington, DC, Bankruptcy: Business
- Legal 500 US, Finance: Corporate Restructuring, including bankruptcy
- Legal 500 US, Dispute resolution: General commercial disputes
- Who's Who in American Law and Who’s Who in Finance and Industry