Clients turn to Hena Schommer for help with complex export control and sanctions compliance matters, including related regulatory disclosures, investigations, and reviews. Hena works with companies on matters involving compliance with the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), and Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regulations, representing clients from around the world, including in the logistics, shipping, aerospace, and telecommunications sectors.
Hena also assists clients in internal investigations and disclosures before various US government agencies related to US export controls and economic sanctions. She works with companies to strengthen, build, and implement their compliance programs, remediate potential non-compliance, and provide strategic guidance on voluntary self-disclosures before key US government agencies. Hena focuses on providing sophisticated and nuanced guidance to non-US companies related to the EAR, ITAR, and OFAC regulations.
When both non-US and US companies appear before US government agencies for potential export controls and sanctions violations, she provides strong representation before the Department of Commerce, Department of Justice, and OFAC.
Her notable experience includes being part of the international team that represented a Chinese telecommunications company charged with violating US export controls and sanctions laws, and securing the first ever "Temporary General License" allowing the company to stay in business during the multi-agency investigation.
- District of Columbia
- J.D., American University, Washington College of Law, 2010
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 2001, Peace and Conflict Studies
- Built compliance program for non-US company with a focus on US export controls and sanctions as applicable to non-US based companies; focused on building effective compliance program, implementation and analysis of items subject to US law.
- Represented and advised non-US company before US government agencies, including the Department of Justice, Department of Commerce, and OFAC, for potential export controls and sanctions violations.
- Provided ongoing export control compliance advice to US-based entity of global non-US based shipping company.
- Conducted internal investigation and submitted voluntary self-disclosure on behalf of US-based entity of non-US based shipping company before OFAC, the Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry & Security (BIS), and the US Census Bureau.
- Prepared group-level export controls and sanctions compliance procedures for large non-US aerospace company, worked closely with cross-functional team to ensure consistency and consider implementation challenges.