Jay Hobbs focuses his practice on white-collar criminal defense and internal investigations. He represents individuals and companies in various stages of corporate and criminal investigations, including matters related to fraud, misbranding, environmental crimes, and criminal antitrust. Jay has experience in fact development, motions practice, and trial preparation. He also provides guidance on issues related to cybersecurity and emerging technologies, such as blockchain applications, bitcoin, and other virtual currencies.
Jay is active in Steptoe’s pro bono practice where he works on a range of matters. He has represented death row inmates in post-conviction proceedings, a claimant pursuing a Social Security Disability Insurance appeal, and a tenant facing eviction in landlord-tenant court.
- District of Columbia
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- Hon. Rudolph Contreras, US District Court, District of Columbia, 2016-2017
- J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 2014, magna cum laude; Associate Editor, Alumni & Philanthropy Chair, University of Pennsylvania Law Review
- B.A., Colorado College, 2011, cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Political Science
Served as a member of Steptoe team representing global automobile manufacturer in investigation by Department of Justice.
Served as a member of Steptoe team that represented a medical device company executive who was acquitted by a jury of charges of wire fraud, conspiracy, and felony adulteration and misbranding.
News & Publications
March 11, 2021
June 26, 2020