Since the start of his legal career, John Byron has been involved in significant securities litigation and enforcement matters, internal and government investigations, regulatory litigation, and complex commercial disputes. He has deep experience assisting companies and their boards with shareholder disputes, whistle-blower complaints, deal litigation, and inquiries from the Securities and Exchange Commission and Commodity Futures Trading Commission, and is known for his creative approach to addressing legal problems.
In 2013 and 2014, John spent six months in London where he dedicated his time to business ethics matters. Both in the United Kingdom and in the United States, John has advised clients on bribery and corruption risk and conducted multi-jurisdictional bribery and corruption investigations.
In 2015 and 2016, John participated in an attorney loan program where he spent one day a week for twenty weeks prosecuting cases on behalf of the City of Houston. As part of that program, John prosecuted approximately ten cases to jury verdict.
Most recently, John has worked with companies and their boards of directors to respond to activist shareholders and advised companies on issues related to business and human rights risk.
- District of Columbia
- J.D., Wake Forest University School of Law, 2011, magna cum laude
- B.A., Tulane University, 2006, cum laude
Areas of Work
Securities Litigation and Enforcement
- Represented shale gas company in investigation conducted by SEC.
- Defended Houston-based oil company and executives in a first-of-its-kind regulatory enforcement action brought by the SEC related to disclosure of hydrocarbon resource estimates.
- Represented board of Canadian exploration and production company in litigation challenging proposed $8.3 billion sale.
- Represented master limited partnership in $400 million merger litigation.
- Represented oil and gas company in investigation conducted by SEC into internal control over financial reporting related to vendor disbursement and wire transfers.
- Represented global supplier of oil and gas production products in investigation conducted by SEC, class action litigation, and derivative litigation related to disclosures about technology product.
- Represented audit committee of oil and gas exploration and production company in connection with SEC investigation into disclosures about an oil and gas reservoir and issues involving oil and gas accounting.
- Represented plastics, chemicals, and refining company in SEC enforcement matter involving allegations of tax and accounting impropriety.
- Represented oil and gas exploration and production company in Delaware-based fiduciary duty litigation.
- Represented minority LLC unitholder in Delaware-based litigation related to breach of LLC agreement.
- Secured dismissal of claims against executives of sports equipment manufacturer in fiduciary duty litigation.
- Representing a Futures Commission Merchant and Introducing Broker in investigation conducted by Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) related to net capital disclosures.
- Representing a commodities trader in investigation conducted by CFTC related to swap deals.
- Prepared antitrust compliance materials for industry meeting of financial institutions.
- Obtained dismissal of antitrust counterclaims in patent infringement litigation against pavement lifting and soil stabilization company.
- Represented hospital system in antitrust litigation alleging monopolization and illegal restraints of trade.
- Negotiated settlement of commercial contract dispute for national sports and apparel retailer.
- Negotiated settlement of an investor fraud action on behalf of a clean energy company.
- Obtained summary judgment for international insurance company in purchase agreement earnout dispute.
- Represented and obtained favorable settlement after winning significant summary judgment motion for electric utility company in a $2 billion fraudulent transfer and fiduciary duty litigation.
- Obtained summary judgment for oilfield services company and board in fiduciary duty litigation and Texas Securities Act challenging a restructuring transaction.
- Obtained dismissal of RICO and Robinson-Patman Act claims for a major financial institution.
- Represented international insurance company in class action litigation and coverage disputes.
- Representing telecommunications provider in dispute with one of the nation's largest hedge funds.
- Representing premium cigar industry in litigation against the FDA.
- Representing major real estate companies in commercial disputes.
- Representing private equity firm in asset purchase agreement dispute arising from consequences of COVID-19.
- Representing insurance company in multiple coverage disputes related to COVID-19.
- Successfully represented client in health care fraud investigation.
- Representing individuals accused of bank fraud and wire fraud
Anti-Bribery and Anti-Corruption
- Assisted with internal bribery investigation into large telecommunications provider.
- Participated in representation of individual acquitted by jury in SFO bribery prosecution.
- Advised African entity on FCPA liability.
- Assisted in internal investigation of oilfield services company's Brazilian operations.
- Conducted investigation into Brazilian operations of oilfield services company in connection with investigation by the SEC and DOJ.
- Conducted due diligence on agents in Mexico, Venezuela, and Colombia.
- Conducted transaction due diligence on multiple transactions for representations and warranties insurer.
News & Publications
November 18, 2021
August 26, 2020
August 20, 2020
Thomson Reuters, Texas Rising Star, Securities Litigation (2015-2020)
Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation