Throughout his career, Mark Johnson has provided forward-thinking legal counsel and regulatory and legislative advice to advance the interests of his clients, which include some of the nation's largest energy companies. Focusing on the challenges and opportunities that competitive markets and technological disruption present, Mark has established himself as an energy industry leader in Illinois and beyond. In 2017 he was recognized by the Financial Times in the North America Innovative Lawyers report for his involvement in the drafting and passage of Illinois' comprehensive Future Energy Jobs Act.
Mark's leading-edge energy counseling and litigation-related experience covers a diverse set of issues critical to the successful implementation of his clients' regulatory strategies and objectives. Among these key issues, Mark advises on traditional and performance-based formula ratemaking, Smart Grid, energy efficiency, renewable energy, distributed generation and net metering, clean coal, energy procurement, utility restructuring and competitive market development, municipal aggregation, and financing. Mark's experience includes representing clients before public utilities commissions and courts, as well as preparing, implementing, and interpreting legislation related to these issues.
In addition to his energy practice, Mark has substantial experience in the areas of white-collar crime and antitrust litigation and counseling.
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- J.D., University of Iowa College of Law, 2002, with distinction
- B.A., Wheaton College, 1999, cum laude, Philosophy
News & Publications
April 29, 2019
March 21, 2019
October 29, 2018
June 26, 2018
- Financial Times, North America Innovative Lawyers (2017)
- Legal 500 US, Illinois “Leading Lawyer,” Energy Litigation: Conventional Power; Energy Regulatory: Conventional Power; Energy Renewable/Alternative (2017)
- Leading Lawyers, Top 10 Lawyer in Energy and Public Utilities (2013-2016)
- Chambers USA, Energy & Natural Resources: Regulatory, Illinois (2010-2019)
Board Member, StreetWise, Inc.
Member, Chicago Bar Association and Chair, Energy, Telecommunications and Water Committee