Meegan Brooks represents a wide variety of retailers and consumer product manufacturers, including fashion retailers, luxury retailers, online retailers, startups, big box stores, cosmetic companies, furniture retailers, and department stores.
Meegan regularly litigates false advertising, unfair competition, and privacy class actions, most often brought under state consumer protection statutes such as California Business & Professions Code Section 17200 and the Consumer Legal Remedies Act. She also advises clients on a myriad of retail issues, including pricing and promotional advertising, “Made in the USA” labels, automatic renewal laws, sponsored endorsements, textile disclosures, gift card laws, point-of-sale and website accessibility issues under the Americans With Disabilities Act, and the New Jersey Truth-In-Consumer Contract Warranty and Notice Act.
Meegan also litigates and advises clients on privacy laws including the Song-Beverly Credit Card Act, the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA) and state and federal data breach regulations. She has been designated as a Certified Information Privacy Professional, United States (CIPP/US) by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Prior to entering private practice, Meegan served as an extern for the Federal Public Defender for the Western District of Washington. While there, she worked on some of the office’s highest-profile cases, including a terrorism case that reached the US Supreme Court.
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Eastern District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 2013, cum laude; Editor, Michigan Journal of Law Reform
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 2010
- Panelist, "Blockchain in Supply Chain: Navigating the Legal Waters," Consensus 2018 Blockchain Conference, May 14-16, 2018
- "Deceptive Pricing Litigation," RILA Retail Law Conference, October 12, 2017
- "Shop Around: Pricing Class Action Trends," RILA Retail Law Conference, October 26, 2016
News & Publications
March 2, 2018
January 4, 2018